Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my cat is depressed.

7 days ago he was sleeping outside and was attacked by a big dog. He was chased up a tree about 25 feet. After about 3 hours, I was able to get him to try to come down by shaking treats and calling encouragement. He made it down about the first 5 feet and then kind of fell the rest of the way.

When I got him back into the house he was shaking and panting. Since then, he stays in a room with a cat tree. He no longer sits on my lap in the evening. After 2 days, he began to eat again, but he does not like his food. He is on a diet. He was eating his diet food for several months, but does not want to eat it anymore. He will eat the non diet food.

When he came down from the tree, I had to give him treats. I shook the bag so I had to give him some. didn't I?

How do I get him back to being the happy cat he was before? He does not want to go outside, he does not want to sit on my lap, he seems sad.

Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Are you sure he isn't injured?! Being attacked by a dog and falling out of a tree could have caused serious internal damage. If you haven't taken him to a vet yet, you should do so ASAP! Any major change in behavior warrants a vet trip.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I hope he is ok, but I would probably think a trip to the vet is needed too. As far as the food goes, I'm not a big fan of diet cat foods. My oldest cat was once on that kind of food, and she was hungry all the time. I found out there was very little meat in her food at all, which is why she was always hungry.

I hope your kitty is ok, and that it is nothing major wrong with him. I would think it would be normal for him to be out of sorts and stressed for a little while, but not too long, then I would suspect that he was maybe hurt. Maybe he hurt his leg or pulled something when he fell a little. Poor baby.

·
Banned
302 Posts
Like others have mentioned, he could be injured. Vet visit would be in order to see if anything is sprained or broken. Then if nothing is sprained or broken, your cat is not depressed, just scared. Put him in a quiet room with his toys, food and water, and litter box for awhile, so he has a chance to calm down. It will take awhile. Watch the litter box and the food and water, make sure he is eating, drinking, and using the litter box. When you go into the room he is in, speak softly to him letting him know that he is safe, it's okay, and that you are there for him if he needs some reassurance.

My mom's cat was traumatized by dogs and when I brought her to my place, I had her in the bathroom for a few days then let her out and talked to her letting her know that she was safe and there were no dogs to scare her. She eventually came to realize that she was safe from dogs. It took a while for her to really be comfortable again.

Just be patient and your cat will come around to feeling safe again.

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Besides being traumatized mentally, he may have been traumatized physically by both the dog and the fall...if its been seven days since this happened and he hasn't bounced back yet, a trip to the vet is in order, he may well have injuries that you can't see by just looking at him.
Hoping for the best!

·
Super Moderator
26,360 Posts
Cats are masters at hiding pain and injuries. Kind of the cat version of "Never let 'em see you sweat." I would also advise taking him to the vet, he could have internal injuries that only a vet can diagnose.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts