Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a bit of advice.
My littlest kitty, Honey (under 7lbs), is having a hard time. We introduced a kitten back at the end of December and she was finally doing well with that. Friday, I brought home a new baby. She seemed fine, was feisty and her normal self for a couple of days. I hadn't been able to give her as much attention and I believe this has finally taken it's toll on her. My mother has been here helping out and noticed she didn't go in to eat one night. The next day, I couldn't find her. We finally found her wedged under my bed and coaxed her out. She was shaky and you could tell she had lost some weight. She just wasn't doing well. My mom and sister rushed her to the emergency vet. They ran blood work to check kidney & liver functions, gave her a fluid pack, prescribed an appetite stimulant (Cyproheptadine 4mg, 1/2 tablet every 12 hours) and high calorie food & sent her home.
We attempted to give her some of the medicine, but she immediately began slobbering all over us and threw it up. We tried crushing and mixing with water to give it in a syringe (called and vet said this was ok). No slobber, but she threw up foam several times in a row.
She still hasn't eaten, I'm extremely worried about her. We plan to get her into the regular vet first thing in the morning. I'm at a loss as what to ask them to do for at this point. I'm afraid she's given up; I'm not ready to give up on her. But I also don't want her to suffer if there's nothing we can do.
I don't really know what I'm asking, just getting it out there. Anyone with a similar experience?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I'm sorry to hear Honey has stopped eating. My previous cat used to go through bouts of anoerxia and it's very frustrating. Things you can try: warming the food, something really smelly, tuna, seeing if she will lick food off of your fingers.

Tomorrow the vet can see if she is dehyrdated (from not eating) and give her some fluids under the skin.. This will make her feel better if dehydration is causing her to feel nauseaus. I did have to use cyproheptadine occasisionally. Sometimes it takes more than one dose for it to kick in. Ask the vet about force-feeding. They can give you a syringe. If they want you to do this, add water to the high cal food (is it Hills AD?) and squirt it into her cheek. But if the cyproheptadine will work, this probably won't be necessary.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Do you have a copy of the lab results from the e-vet? If not, it's important for you to get a copy for yourself and make an extra copy for your regular vet. If you do have the lab results, could you please post them here (with the lab's reference ranges) so that we can see them? If you don't have them, what did the e-vet say about them?

This doesn't sound like depression or anxiety to me. It sounds more like poisoning or some other acute physical malady.

Laurie

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
The trip to the vet is going to add stress but with the possibility of dehydration it's worth it.

The she needs attention and PLAY therapy. Playing works wonders for a cat.

That's what Jackson Galaxy would recommend

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The emergency vet did fluids under the skin last night for dehydration. The results I have are:
Preliminary CBC showed mild decrease in platelets likely due to platelet aggregation.
Chemistry panel was unremarkable.
Urinalysis showed proteinuria and 1+ bilirubin. These may be early signs of underlying kidney or liver disease. Recheck in 1 week.

I'm not sure the brand of food they sent with her (was unable to go with because of new baby). The papers say MaxCal and Science Diet a/d. We've tried the cyproheptadine twice now and got nothing for it but vomit.
We bought 2 feliway diffusers to hopefully relax her a bit and calm the kitten (who is locked away from her for the time being). We are giving her as much love as we can, but she doesn't always want it. I was able to get her to purr earlier and she voluntarily came downstairs and jumped up next to me for some love.
Laurief, I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I'm not sure how she could have been poisoned. I don't keep chemicals in the house, all natural cleaners and those are locked away from my 4 year old. She doesn't seem to be in pain and I'm not sure how she could have hurt herself. I do know this started after bringing home the baby. There was one night she got up with me and I tried to move her to a better spot and she jumped away from me. The next day is when we noticed her not responding to food or attention.
I wish she would play. I wish she would curl up with me. I tried to get her to sleep with me the other night, but she refused to stay with me.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I'm sorry but the baby will have to be rehomed. It's best to do it quickly before you get attached. Don't name it.

You get major kudos for watching out for your kitty under the circumstances.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
How is Honey doing???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts