Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm sorry to start a similar thread to my last but this has gone totally out of control.

For the past few days, my cat's absolute obsession with the front door leading to our spartment hallway has escalated. First he tried to run out the door, and now over the past few days he's started sitting in front of the door staring at it and meowing. The meowing seems to have become obsessive - he isn't wanting to play and engage with me like he has been before.

I've been keeping him in my room when I've gone to work the past few days because I'm very concerned my neighbors will quickly tire of hearing this meowing, but generally when I'm home it was never terrible.

Then last night at 7pm or so he just planted himself in front of the door and howled. I kept him in the bedroom last night to cut down on noise, and he spent the whole night sitting by that door and meowing consistently. I got no sleep but now I'm just so concerned about him.

Is this obsessive meowing normal? Anything to do?

He doesn't care about water spray, tinfoil or sticky tape, and isn't even slightly deterred by noise so I haven't found anything to keep him away from sitting at the door. He has toys but doesn't want to play.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes he is. He's around 7, got him 5 weeks ago from the shelter where he'd been for 2 months after being rescued from an animal hoarder. He just had a vet check about 3 weeks ago and no problems were found.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
maybe one of the experts can chime in as to giving this cat some "outside" time, like on a leash or ? Was this cat used to being outdoors? Maybe he was used to being with other cats?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He was never an outdoor cat. I live in New York City and he was taken from an apartment here in the city, although nothing is known about him so it's possible he spent some amount of time outside before ending up with the hoarder.

If you mean leash time in the hall, I'm willing but worried it might just reinforce his seeming desperation to get past my apartment door.

·
Premium Member
3,537 Posts
One of my kitties used to meow constantly at our bedroom door at night. My husband does not like the cats on the bed at night so we close the door. What worked for us is a product called Psssscat. It is canned air with a motion sensor. I placed it by the door and when Winston came for his usual meowing session he got hit by a blast of air. It only took him two nights to stop the behavior. The air does not hurt the cat at all. I got mine at Petsmart but I am sure any other pet shop will carry it, if not check on Amazon.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, guys. This sounds promising. Did it stop your cat from doing that sad-sounding meowing too, or did it just cause him to go to a different part of the home and complain (my concern)?

·
Premium Member
3,537 Posts
Thanks, guys. This sounds promising. Did it stop your cat from doing that sad-sounding meowing too, or did it just cause him to go to a different part of the home and complain (my concern)?

No, he stopped. Of course I can't guarantee that your kitty will respond like Winston did, but it is worth a try. I have not have to used it since, and that was months ago. I hope it helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts