Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My indoor cat has somehow managed to find some fleas. We have never treated her because she never goes out. I've had cats (and so has my dh) all of my life and the only time we ever had fleas was when my parents moved into a parsonage and they were in a couch left behind by the previous pastor. After unsuccessful dipping, they finally discovered the source of the problem. Dh's parents had outdoor cats and his mom religiously picked fleas off of their cats.

I didn't know what the problem was. We didn't seem to notice the cat scratching more. In fact, looking back, she was grooming more, but not scratching. I have 6 dc and 4 of them seem to be very allergic to the fleas. The rest of us hardly ever get bit. I took my dd in to the dr and the first question he asked was about fleas. I assured him that this was not the problem since I had not seen any. He diagnosed scabies. I was a bit skeptical since they didn't have bites in typical spots. We treated for two weeks (twice a week apart) with minimal success after doing major house cleaning for that. The treatment for that is premethrin cream so I think that is why it improved some for my children. After the second treatment, my youngest ds found jumping bugs. Sure enough...they were fleas. 8O

We desperately need advice.
How do you treat for fleas?
If we get Advantage or Frontline, will that do the trick? Which works better?

I know I have to clean carpets, furniture, etc. What is the best method for this? I've read so much and I am confused. My 17yo dd is absolutely miserable!! They have abated some due to baths with natural shampoos with neem and lots of vacuuming.

Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
You need to treat the cat with a topical flea medication. My favorite is Revolution, but you have several choices... Frontline, Revolution, Advantage (NEVER AdvanTIX)...

Then you must concentrate on treating the house. But if the cat isn't treated the fleas will keep coming back, since they have a food source. I used lots of Borax powder and it seemed to work great.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
i can't speak from experience because denver is above the altitude where fleas live. i don't think anyone has them here, unless they import them from texas or california maybe. but i just read an article about using borax/boric acid powder, the kind people use to kill roaches. (now, whether THAT works or not, i don't know, it really doesn't seem like it would but it might). you can get it at a drugstore, it's non-toxic so you can dust your cat with it (and your carpet . . . and your furniture . . . whatever).

now that you're getting a handle on the fleas--next stop, check for worms. cats get tapeworms from accidentally eating the flea during grooming.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have used the Mule 10 Borax stuff...It's by the powder laundry soap at the store. I leave it on my carpet for a bit and vacuum it up. I was told to vacuum as much as I could for an entire month because of the life cycle of fleas or you could get an infestation once the eggs hatch. Be sure to empty your vacuum or throw the bags away after you vacuum so any fleas you get up don't jump back out.I use advantage plus on my cats and Trifexis for my dog and it seems to be doing the trick here.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Make sure you use a spot treatment on the cat flea killer at least three months in a row to make sure you get all newly hatched fleas. Borax is good stuff, but if one is allergic to it (I am) it can cause a large problem with people with asthma. I always use diatomaeceous earth (diatoms are the remains of dead sea creatures) which actually cut and dry the fleas to death. Not a bug spray, no chemicals, just the skeletons of dead animals. It is great for bare floors, tiles, and even carpets. You put it down, let it lay and then vacuum it up in a week or so and repeat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.