Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have reached the end of my rope for my shelter kitty. I almost think at this point finding a new home would be best for him. For those that do not know I own two kitties. Ozark (the rescued stray) and Indy (the shelter kitty) are my two cats. I love both of them but Indy is wearing on my nerves. He has chewed through countless cords, shoelaces, shower curtains and is working on tearing apart my bed skirt. He is not scratching items but rather chewing them. It's like he'll go up to an object and wonder how it will feel in his mouth. No amount of bitter spray will keep him away. I've tried several brands and reapplied often.

Right now he has a vet appointment set for Friday. I want to rule out oral issues but I'm so frustrated! I'm just wondering if he needs a home where he can get more attention. Ozark ignores him half the time because he is so hyper. I'm starting to think it is one bored cat. And, yes, I have a variety of toys that get rotated out. Indy goes through toy mice like none other. I know it's not good but I as an owner just want to punt the cat whenever he chews up another possession. Most expensive thing he attempted to eat was a Coach purse!

·
Registered
761 Posts
If he needs more attention, give it to him. Just having toys lying around isn't the answer, a cat needs human interactive play, every day.

Cover the wires with wire covers of some sort.

Keep shoes and other things out of his reach.

Give him things he is allowed to chew, such as a heavy strip of leather purse strap, strips of heavy corrugated cardboard, and a card board box with the flaps torn off (so he can sit in the box and chew the edges) The Chewing Box should have sides about 4 inches high.

Play with him play with him play with him. The more interactive Games you play with him, the more he will be mentally and physically stimulated to play on his own, and the less he will need to chew.

How long has he been with you? Shelter kitties often come with certain mental or emotional problems, such as anxiety.
Install some feliway plug in diffusers to help with anxiety. Rescue Remedy might help, too.

Cats thrive on routine. Arrange these interactive Games to happen at the same times every day. Soon he will know when his one on one time with you is, and look forward to it. It will help him feel more secure.

Put a bird feeder outside of a favorite window for cat TV.

And keep playing with him! An 11 month old cat needs to run and jump and dash around, a LOT.

If you need Game ideas, I will be happy to provide some. :)

·
Registered
353 Posts
I don't have advice, but I can relate to the bitter sprays. My cat seems to ignore them. Inevitably I somehow end up not washing my hands well enough or I touch a wire without realizing then all I can tastes for hours is that nasty stuff.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
I'd cut him some slack, he's a young active cat who lives with an old fart cat who doesn't want to play with him. If amusement isn't provided he's going to find his own.

Don't think I say that lightly. I was at the end of my rope with Shepherd Book not that long ago. He was in to EVERYTHING and driving me (and MowMow) absolutely up the wall. I kept waffling with returning him as well. THe only thing that held me back was thinking of his little face as I dumped him back at the rescue wondering why I was abandoning him and why I didn't love him anymore. (I know they don't think quite like that but, it's how I felt).

Everyone else is right. Treat him like he's a puppy. Nothing can be left out for him to destroy and take into account that some things are going to be lost to his growing pains. Just like a puppy he's going to need YOU to play him down three or four times a day. Everyone kept telling me that Book would mature a bit after he hit a year or so old and when I wanted to throw him out the second story window i would keep chanting that "3 more months...three more months...." sure enough at about 14 months or so he started to mature a bit and settle down.

Don't get me wrong, he's still an active young cat and I still haven't bought a new shower curtain because I don't think he's done destroying this one yet but he's bearable now and his cuteness and sweetness is outweighing his demonic little personality.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Actually I think some cats do grieve when their owners give them away. I've heard a lot of stories about animals not eating, moping around, etc. I have a nasty ole' biddy of a cat that part of me would love to get rid of, but I couldn't bear the thought of her being put down even if she is Queen Crankypants. No one else would put up with her...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I play with him daily! I cuddle him (this cat is a cuddler) daily. He starts getting frustrated when I am asleep. My other cat is far from old since he is only one year. There is less than a years difference between the two. I also don't remember Ozark having this amount of energy and I got him about 6-7 months old. I do end up keeping certain items out of harms way but there is only so much you can do especially with electrical cords.

Today he found a burned match stick (don't know where he got it) that he had consumed half of. I am gone to work from 7 to 6. The reason I own cats instead of dogs is because I can be gone for 10 hours on a short day. I also expected two cats would keep each other company not become the lazy cat and the destructive cat.

In hindsight, I wish I hadn't adopted Indy. I love him but he's a handful.

I've also had Indy since March 2012. I adopted him at about 5 months old. He is almost a year old. I'll wait a few more months but this cat is slightly insane. I just don't think I could ever stimulate his mind enough. **sigh** I do love him but he drives me insane with his endless energy. I can't be there for him 24-7. Ozark just doesn't need the stimulation like Indy does; he's a little slow.

·
Registered
353 Posts
you can get spiral tubing to neatly hold back electrical cords. I think I even saw on here someone was using paper towel tubes to keep the cords away from cats (my cat would just eat the tube)

you could always wrap cords in a couple layers of duct tape. It's unsightly, but it would be harder to chew through.

i've always been meaning to cable manage everything so it's nice and neat with proper tubing. Monoprice.com has cheap cable management supplies. This might be something to look into if you're in for the long haul...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also I know Indy would grieve. He's a one-person cat. Only person who he has warmed up to was an exboyfriend (broke up since he was supposed to be relocated) that I have started dating again. It was unusual since he never warmed up to my last boyfriend who I was with since I got him. But go figure, he warms up to this guy as soon as he sits down! Maybe he is telling me to keep him around. Lol!

Ozark loves everyone.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Cats seem to be decent judges of people in my experience... my cat Tugs certainly didn't like my ex-boyfriends and he loves my husband hahaha. My older cat, Binky, dislikes everyone (including me, most days) so she doesn't count. Unfortunately hubs hasn't been able to meet Bear yet, as he'd already returned to South Korea (he's in the army) when I got Bear. I'm surprised Ozark is so calm at less than 2 years old... he's as much of an anomaly as Indy is for being crazy! You also may want to try playing with a laser pointer with Indy... you can make him chase it long distances around a room or down a hall to try to tire him out. :-D

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also, this cat loves mice. There is no rotating out toys. If he wants to play with a cat toy it is always a toy mouse. Mommy's possessions are his other preference. If mommy doesn't want him to have it then it must be a toy! I have other toys for him but he plays no mind to them. Mice usually are a huge hit. He loves playing fetch with them and he loves playing the game of getting them in a hard to reach spot so he can fight to get them out. I often wake up to his toy mouse being dropped on my face. Did I mention he loves to fetch? Yes, fetch as in toss, retrieve and drop right next to you... for hours... even if mommy is sleeping then the game of fetch is still an option since mommy will at least toss it off her face. ...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cats seem to be decent judges of people in my experience...
Possibly, the ex (SH) was one of those egotistical and slightly abusive nightmares too. It was always him, him, him. The ex (TM) and I only dated a week officially before his orders came in to relocate. However, in the end the Air Force ended up honorably discharging him for medical reasons and never relocated him.

Back to my cat, I'm happy that maybe it isn't just me with the psychotically hyper cats. Will he eventually mellow out to where he sleeps 18 hours of the day? Most cats I've ever seen are pretty much marathon sleepers.

As far as Ozark being an anomaly, he is a weird cat. He likes playing with the wand versus the actual toy dangling from the string. He was also on the fat side of healthy before I got Indy. Basically, Ozark is a lazy, slightly special cat.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Well, my cat Binky got less demonic as she aged... so maybe he'll get less hyper? Lol it's funny that Ozark plays with the wand, because my kitten Bear does too!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
After thinking long and hard about it, I decided to rehome little Indy. It wasn't an easy decision but I looked at some of the issues I've been dealing with and thought it would be for the best since I did not have the patience for this cat. I ended up casually looking and a new home fell in my lap. Indy has a new home with an engaged couple. He seems like he is in a better home and the new owners have promised to fill me in on updates. Indy seems really happy so I guess it is a win-win.

It's taken me a few days to get around to debating whether I should post this. However, I figure it would be noticed at some point if I posted again. While I do feel like the household is better. Part of me did not want to admit I couldn't deal with the cat and rehomed him. I feel like I did the right thing and rehomed him myself rather than dumping him back at the animal shelter.

As far as how Ozark has been handling the changes, I don't think Ozark has even noticed. He has shown more affection since Indy isn't constantly in my lap anymore. That's really about it. Sometimes I miss the little brat. I keep expecting to see him causing trouble around the house but I do have to remind myself he's not here anymore.

·
Super Moderator
26,670 Posts
I've rehomed cats. I don't think "rehome" is a bad word. Sometimes we're meant to to be the middle-man in finding a cat a wonderful permanent home. It's better than trying for months and months and then rehoming.

Plus, if it wasn't for rehoming, lots of us wouldn't have our current cats, me included. Cleo was rehomed to me and so was my first cat, Cinderella. :grin:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Don't feel bad about rehoming Indy. My first cat Smokey belonged to our neighbor. They had a dog and kept Smokey in their basement. When he started spraying (they never had him neutered), they put him outside. He was scared to death and climbed a very tall tree and wouldn't come down. I stood under the tree every day and talked to him and he came down to me (after three days). My neighbors officially "rehomed" to me. I had him neutered and never let him outside. He lived to be 18 years old and I still miss him. So, like Marie, he would have never have come into my life if my neighbors weren't willing to rehome him. Everything happens for a reason. Let us know when you get updates!

·
Registered
786 Posts
I have three cats. Two are just over a year and one is 6. The two youngest are still like this at 15 and 16 months. They have calmed down a whole lot in recent months but they still have crazy zoomy moments when they will tag each other and sprint around the house. Even my 6 year old does this but not as often as the younger ones.

Try getting interactive toys. Like the ones with a ball in a track you can change around and a crinkle cat tunnel the lights up when they run through it. Mine love these.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Ahh. I didn't see the post where you said you're homed him. It may be for the best. Sometimes as much as you tried it doesnt work.

I almost returned the 6 year old cat as she was extremely skittish and would brutally attack the dog if she came near her. Luckily thing sorted themself out now the two just avoid each other for the most part. She only smacks and hisses if the dog doesn't leave her alone. Glad he found a nice home

1 - 18 of 18 Posts