Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two kittens, Mellon, who was supposedly 12.5 weeks old when I got her and Collie, whose previous owner said was 14 weeks old when I got her 3 weeks AFTER I got Mellon. that would make Mellon 2 weeks older than Collie... (the ads for BOTH cats claimed they were 15 weeks old...)
However, once I had Collie at home I realized that she was about twice the size of Mellon. At first I thought Collie's previous owner lied about her age to make it easier to sell her to me. But during a visit to the vet I was told that Collie's age COULD indeed be accurate, but that Mellon was EXTREMELY small for her age and looked more like a 10 weeks old kitten. Now I am pretty much convinced that it was in fact Mellon's previous owner who lied about her true age... I fell in love with both of them and I want to give them all the love and affection they need to live long and healthy lives. But it's still very frustrating not to know my cats' true ages... Is there any way to tell how old my cats really are? The vet wasn't much help I feel. If Mellon's previous owner was telling the truth she would be a bit over 19 weeks old. Yet she only weighs just slightly more than 1kg and looks tiny compared to Collie, who is supposed to be 2 WEEKS OLDER and weighs over 2kg! The vet said both cats were healthy and they really do seem to be happy and healthy.

Also, is it possible that Collie is in fact MUCH older than 18 weeks? To me she looks like a fully grown cat (ok, I really have nothing to compare her to though) She definitely behaves very differently from Mellon's playful kitten behavior, and she already seemed to be in heat recently.

I know these are lot of newbie questions and I apologize for that, but this is really bothering me:?

·
Registered
233 Posts
As far as I know there is no way to tell in young cats exactly how old they are. Your vet basically told you the same thing.

For that matter it is difficult to say how old an adult cat is - other than an age "range" and that would rely on things like tooth condition, eye degeneration etc. It is not an exact science. I've had five cats over the years, and never knew their ages. I adopted all of them from the shelter. They give a "best guess" age at shelters. It really doesn't matter to me, I love them no matter what age they are.

Different breeds and body types will influence their size more than age.

·
Super Moderator
26,494 Posts
One of my vets thinks Gigi is much older than advertised, which might explain her Gizilla personality.

Cinderella was advertised as being 2 years old, but did the guy think when he handed me her medical records that I wouldn't notice she was almost 4 years old?

Lots of ads lie about ages to get their cats adopted quicker. Even the agency where Gigi was adopted from first said 4 years old, then 3 years old.

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you are right, in the end it really doesn't matter! I love my cats and their age has nothing to do with that. But I'm a very cynical person and the fact that the previous owners acted very dubiously just makes my spidey sense tingle ;) I wish I had adopted my cats from shelters, cause it would make me feel like a better person, but I'm foreigner in this country and it was hard enough for me to get cats at all. It still would be nice to know their age, especially because their previous owners DO KNOW the exact age but chose to lie about it, just to make it easier to sell their unwanted cats.

I'll admit, I was one of those people who wanted cute little kittens, it didn't turn out that way but i'm happy with what I got. :)

·
Super Moderator
18,394 Posts
Once a kitten gets past 8-10 weeks old it's very difficult to age them with any accuracy better then a few weeks. It's fairly easy when they're small babies (are their eyes open? are they walking, do they have teeth?) but even then you can be off by a week if they're slow developers.

The next milestone that may help you is losing their baby teeth. It typically happens around 4-5 months. Again, it's only going to give you confirmation of a ballpark age.

In the long run, their age doesn't particularly matter and at this point you're never going to know. The vast majority of cat owners don't know their cat's exact age, it's just something we deal with.

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
size is one of the more misleading way to judge age, they may grow up to be differant sizes, growth spurts and varied rates even occures in litter mates!! the size of the mother and the number in the litter can also factor into this..

·
Super Moderator
26,494 Posts
People lie to shelters all the time, probably so their cats won't be put down. Older cats are harder to find homes for.

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I actually found a couple of teeth lying around but I have no idea if they are Mellon's or Collie's. Mellon is the one who keeps on chewing on pretty much everything so I have suspicion that it's her.

The thing is, if Mellon is in fact over 19 weeks old, that would mean that she is extremely small and skinny. She seems to be pretty healthy (she doesnt eat much but she DOES eat) but then why is she so small? There always is food available for her, and I tried different kinds of food and she eats pretty much everything I give her. I have absolutely no idea if her size is age appropriate or not, because I don't know her true age. I guess only time will tell.

·
Super Moderator
26,494 Posts
Some cats are just small. Gigi is only 7 pounds fully grown.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Some cats are just small. Gigi is only 7 pounds fully grown.
The same goes for Pumpkin, though she's less active since the last time I weighed her so she might be closer to 6 lb now. I will add that when I adopted Simone at 8 weeks he was almost the size of Pumpkin who was 3 months older. Like the others said, size isn't really a reliable indicator except for maybe when you have a full bred cat (even then it could differ from the standards of that breed).

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, it's funny, but at first I wanted Mellon to be kitten as long as possible, now I just want her to grow just to be sure she is alright

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I would estimate their ages based on what your vet told you and go from there. You really can't tell age from weight. I know both my girls' ages and, when Muffs was 12 weeks old, she weighed about 4lbs. At 12 weeks of age, Abby weighed 1.5 lbs. So Muffs was more than twice Abby's size at the same age.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts