Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 19 week old kitten started a few days ago drinking his water by putting his paw in the water and licking it. I would rather him not do it that way because every second or third dunk he will shack his paw after dunking and get water all over. I have wood floors and have paw prints all over. Why would he just start doing this?
Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Could it be the water is too cold now in winter?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
My Sherbert would do this if he felt the dish was too narrow or deep, or too low, or he just didn't want to bend over... or he didn't want to put his head under the faucet.. or there was milk in a glass he couldn't reach without tipping it..

oh wait, he was just as likely to tip it..

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could it be the water is too cold now in winter?
I'm in calif. we're still having pretty decent weather. I keep my house at 70* -72*
I don't think the cold bothers him. I feed him a raw diet and he deosnt care if the meat comes directly out of the fridge which the temp is set at 37* or if I put it in warm water first.
Thanks for the ideas

·
Registered
469 Posts
Sometimes they can't see the water level, so they dunk their paw so see where it is so they don't get a nose full of water.

Years ago I lived with a roommate who had a couple kittens, Fuzz would almost always drink with her two front paws in the water lol. She did outgrow that eventually lol.

It's probably just a phase, kittens are fickle creatures lol. They just get finicky as they age lol.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sometimes they can't see the water level, so they dunk their paw so see where it is so they don't get a nose full of water.

Years ago I lived with a roommate who had a couple kittens, Fuzz would almost always drink with her two front paws in the water lol. She did outgrow that eventually lol.

It's probably just a phase, kittens are fickle creatures lol. They just get finicky as they age lol.

My Himalayan taps the bowl to get the water moving so he can see it. Simba (kitten) was doing the same thing. Than all of a sudden thought the water would taste better off his paw.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Milky also taps the fountain to see where the water level is. He only started doing that a while ago. He used to dunk his paw in, but he's slowly growing out of that now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
We actually had a cat who wasn't satisfied with her bowl of water on the floor. She would drink that way from a drinking glass on the coffee table. :lol: The first time she did it was so cute we taped it! After that we started keeping her a small drinking glass of her own on the coffee table (filled to the top of course so she could drink normally). Since then it has become sorta a family tradition. Our two current cats, Ninja and Mouth, have their own glass on the table now. Mouth drinks silly too. He paws the table like you would see a kitten nursing from his mom. EVERY time! Too funny.

·
Registered
716 Posts
haha my kitten hasn't quite figured out the water dish yet either. He just kind of sticks his muzzle in and slurps, as opposed to lapping the water with his tongue. He always comes out with a wet nose and his chin dripping. I think he is trying to nurse and he just hasn't figured it out yet.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Zoe did this her whole life. Apple has just recently started doing it as well. :) Messy little babies! lol At least it's just water.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts