Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am new to the Devon Rex breed. I am wanting to get a Devon Rex, but my vet has advised against doing so, stating that the Devon Rex that have come into the practice are all chronically ill.

Has suggested that I talk to other vets, as well as owners and breeders to get input before I make my decision.

Does anyone have any input on the health issues of the Devon Rex, and how common they are?
Health issues such as chronic diarrhea, sinus and optical issues, digestion issues, etc.

What has been your experience?
Thank-you all

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
I've had Devon Rex since 2005, and all were from Canadian breeders. My first one, Alkitotle, the white Devon in my avatar was healthy until she developed diabetes at the age of 11 yrs. and died. I believe it was caused by the Carageenan additive in the cat food I was feeding her. Her companion Zuba, the other Devon in the avatar is going into his 16th year. He's never been sick or had any complications with his health in all those years, still agile and playful. I got my first two Devons from the same breeder. After Alkitotle died, I got another Devon (Fitty Pisky) from another breeder that had very good stock, as the first breeder after many years had retired. Not one of my Devons has ever had "chronic diarrhea, sinus, optical issues, or digestion issues". So a lot depends on the breeder and how careful they are in choosing their stock. Having bred and shown longhair Manx for 18 yrs., I was always careful that any cat to be bred was perfectly healthy, sound in body and temperament. They were fed well, not caged, got lots of exercise and were healthy. Most of my Manx lived to be 16-18 yrs. I have not been involved with the cat fancy for some years so haven't heard that Devons were "chronically ill". I think a lot depends on the breeder......that's my experience. My vet certainly hasn't made much money with my cats!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank-you so much for this response, Catloverami! I am really delighted to hear this, as I’ve already become attached to the breed. It sounds like with the right breeder, these health conditions can be avoided altogether.
Thank-you for your help!

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
Just make sure the Devon breeder is a member of a proper cat association, such as CFA (Cat Fanciers Assoc.), TICA (The International Cat Assoc.), CCA (Canadian Cat Assoc.), you will receive copy of kitten"s registration. Do not buy one from a BYB (back yard breeder)---those people do not breed properly!!! The breeder will have a Sales contract, and guarantees of genetic soundness, and possibly stipulations such as cat must be an indoor cat, never have its claws amputated, etc. Do your homework and visit the cattery to see the kittens and their dam and sire, the cleanliness of cattery, etc. Here's a helpful link for you:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts