Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took Mango to the vet today for teeth cleaning, but blood work came back bad. My poor baby spent the day there on IV fluids! OMG! He is diabetic and his kidney function isn't too good. here are the results of the blood work

ALKP 39U/L
ALT 56 U/L
BUN 24mg/dl
CREA 2.4mg/dl
GLU 244mg/dl
TP 7.5 g/dl

HCt 35.3
HGB 11.1
MCHC 31.4
WBC 5.6

I am so upset. He has to loose 4 pounds and the vet put him on wet food which he hates. Purina D/M. Okay, get this. He was there all day on IV fluids because they said he was dehydrated and they couldn't get a urine sample???? Said he peed and pooped together so it was mixed together and couldn't get a good one. He was there for 8 hours. Come on people! Also it is in his record that he bites, told the vet, she told the techs, one of the techs got bit, had to go get a tetnaus shot and now the health department called me and told me Mango has to be on 10 day quarenteen!!?? He is indoor only cat, has had his shots. I just have to keep an eye on him. Like he has rabies!!!!! They will call back in ten days. My question is, WORKING AS A VET TECH, WHY WASN'T SHE UP ON HER TETNAUS SHOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a nightmare of a day!! And anyone out there, DON'T DO AS I DID!!! PUT YOUR CAT ON WET FOOD!!! Wish I would of listened to this forum. By the way, Mango is 6 years old and 17 pounds almost 18 and needs to be 14 pounds.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
He will be on wet for sure. I think we caught it early enough. So sorry about your cat. I will die the day he dies. He is our life! We are on a mission now.

·
Super Moderator
26,659 Posts
I'm so sorry you're going through this. {{{HUGS}}} My girls send little nose kisses.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Cats can live many years with kidney disease especially if they eat the right food, make sure they go to the vet at least 2 times a year, learn about the diseases and symptoms, learn all you can about it. Razzle is going thru 3 days of dialysis for stage 4 kidney disease. I kick myself in the butt for not doing what needed to be done 2 years ago. Learn by others mistakes. Also inferior wet food can cause kidney and other diseases. Like they say for people, you are what you eat. There is also dry kidney food so you might want to use this and gradually transition to wet, but you would have to ask the vet about this since he is diabetic too. I was lucky that my cats don't like dry. Always love the wet food. Good luck

Kathy

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
We had a vet tech who had her face right next to my Golden Retriever's face as he was waking up from anesthesia. She got a nice bite on her nose, but admitted it was her fault (they all loved my Golden).

My son's cat was borderline diabetic and hated DM. We did research and ended up putting her on a high protein wet cat food. Her numbers dropped back to normal and she has been fine. The complicating issue is the kidneys. Kidney disease usually precludes a high protein diet.
I am sure your cat is not the only one with both issues. There are a couple of forums for diabetic cats - do your research, take everything with a grain of salt and talk to your vet.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I understand that you are upset, but you shouldn't be mad at the vet tech. Cat bites(even from clean indoor cats) usually get infected, and should always be checked out by a doctor, whether she had a tetanus shot or not. The 10 day quarantine is just precaution. I have had to go through the same experience a few times with my own cats. Its not a big deal, they just treat all animal bites this way.

Even if you know a cat bites, they are very hard to restrain and sometimes it happens. Dogs are easy- you can muzzle them, but you cant really safely hold a cat still if it wants to get free.

Sorry, but I worked in a vets office for a few years and its a tough job.

I hope that Mango gets better soon, my heart goes out to you. I, too learned about the negative effects of dry food the hard way.

<<<<vibes>>>>>

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As usual, you guys are awesome! Thanks for all of the replies. Mango is eating the food, but little bits at a time. He has had NO symptoms of any of these diseases. It was a shock to me. One thing I am mad about is that they needed a urine sample to validate the blood work and they didn't do that. The vet even told me that the blood results could of been elevated from stress. I am taking him to another vet for a second opinion. But I am waiting for a month. He went through too much yesterday as well as hubby and I. I agree he needs to loose weight and needs to be on wet food. Those are in progress right now. Again, thanks so much, I love this forum.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
'Wow!Thank you for the links! Just got through reading the first link and Mango will Never be on dry food again! It answered a lot of my questions. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Took Mango to the vet today for teeth cleaning, but blood work came back bad. My poor baby spent the day there on IV fluids! OMG! He is diabetic and his kidney function isn't too good. here are the results of the blood work
I am sorry that you received such worrisome information from your vet, but perhaps I can give you a bit less frightening perspectives on some of this. First, when you post bloodwork results, please include the lab's reference ranges for each blood value. Each lab's reference ranges can vary due to different testing equipment and procedures. It's important to know the ranges in order to put your cat's results into accurate perspective. That said (and guesstimating perspective based on ranges from the labs my own vets use), it appears that your cat is in Stage 2 chronic renal failure (CRF - also called chronic kidney disease, CKD). That is the earliest stage at which CRF can be diagnosed via bloodwork, so your cat is quite fortunate to have been diagnosed so early. The earlier this disease is diagnosed and managed, the better the prognosis for a longer, healthier (respectively speaking) life.

As far as his elevated blood glucose is concerned, cats can easily spike BG's in the 200's due to stress and anxiety alone (which many cats experience at a vet's office). Also, if your cat was fed within 8 hrs of the blood draw, that could also raise the BG. So I, personally, wouldn't put a lot of stock in a diabetes diagnosis without a fructosamine (blood) test. The fructosamine test provides an average BG over the last several weeks, so it is not significantly impacted by sudden anxiety in a vet's office. Get the fructosamine test (assuming you are NOT giving your cat insulin) to help clarify whether or not your cat actually is diabetic.

He has to loose 4 pounds and the vet put him on wet food which he hates. Purina D/M.
A few key points here:

1) Weight loss much be achieved gradually in cats or they risk developing potentially fatal hepatic lipidosis. If your cat is refusing to eat the prescribed food, you MUST feed him enough other food so that he does not lose weight too quickly. When I was taking weight off of my feline fatties, I liked to see weight loss of between .2-.4 lb every two weeks. I adjusted food portions up or down every two weeks to maintain that rate of weight loss (I weighed the cats on a digital baby scale every two weeks and charted their weights to keep track of the weight loss).

2) Canned food is MUCH healthier for ALL cats, but this is especially true for both CRF and diabetic cats. That said, the top priority is to keep your cat eating enough so that he doesn't lose weight too quickly. If the only thing he'll eat right now is his regular kibble, then feed that and gradually add in small amounts of canned food to slowly transition him to the healthier diet. First, make sure he keeps eating. Second, slowly transition him to what you want him to eat.

3) While the ingredients for the canned form of D/M aren't horrible, I, personally, would opt for EVO 95% meat canned cat food, instead (higher quality meat ingredients). EVO is a little higher in calories (which means you'd feed a little less of it) and a little lower in protein (which is easier on the kidneys). Most importantly, it comes in several flavors that may be more palatable to your cat.

Don't panic. Your cat may or may not be diabetic. He is, apparently, in the early stages of renal failure, but that's not imminently life-threatening, either. Much can be done for CRF cats to maintain good quality of life for a substantial period of time - often years. The most important things for you to do now are to remain as calm as possible and educate yourself about CRF. Meow 79 provided you with a like to Tanya's CRF site, which most of us CRF caretakers consider to be our "bible". It is a comprehensive CRF resource that can be entirely overwhelming at first, but if you just keep going back to it and reading as much of it as your brain can hold at any one sitting, you'll be amazed how much you can learn about this disease and its management.

Please feel free to ask any more questions you may have. Several of us here have dealt with CRF and/or diabetes and can offer our experiences with you.

Laurie

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
here are the reference ranges GLU 74=159 Mango 244
CREA 0.8-2.4 Three years ago the reference ranges were different.

Here are the ranges and Mangos results from 3 years ago

CREA ref/ 0.6-2.4 Mango's 2.0
GLU ref/ 64-170 Mango's 118

I was thinking diabetes and not kidney.
Thank you for the reply. I have read so much on this since I have recieved the links that I feel so much better. Again, thanks!

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I forgot. Thanks for the feeding tip. I dont want him to be hungry. I will soak the kibble in water and he can eat it like wet food and I will mix it in with his new canned food.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have been taking Mango's blood glucose and they have been normal. He is not diabetic. I have been on the diabetic forum and they have been great. He also does not have kidney disease. His levels were up because of stress. I am taking him to another vet for a second opinion. One good thing is I am switching him to wet food and he is begining to like it. What a scare I went through!!!

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
I'm very glad (and not surprised) to hear that Mango's BG has been normal at home and that he is not diabetic. The renal issue still concerns me, though. Renal values don't normally rise due to stress, though it is possible that he had a mild kidney infection that resolved. Still, his renal values three years ago were in the high normal range, so it would be reasonable to assume that his renal values have increased a bit more over that period of time. Have you had his renal values checked again since 7/17, and if so, what are they now?

Laurie

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Havent had them checked, but I was told his BUN was normal and it it usually elevated along with the creatine if it is kidney disease. When I get a paycheck I am taking him to a new vet and having him do blood tests again. That $400.00 put a big dent in my wallet.And he didnt even get his shots, teeth cleaned or nails trimmed! What a nightmare this has been!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts