Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of switching to raw diet. I gave him a small piece of raw pork kidney and he went straight to litter after eating it and had loose stool. Does anyone know why?? Is kidney not easy to digest??

·
Registered
751 Posts
Kidney is a very rich meat and is only supposed to be 5% of what you are feeding. Too much organ will lead to soft stool - but you're saying that he had that right after eating the organ? If it was caused by the kidney, it would have been several hours later.

Soft stool/diarrhea makes me think that either the cat is not getting enough bone or is getting too much organ meat.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I feed pork kidneys now every other week and we haven't had a problem with loose stools, but they do eat plenty of bone in meals to balance it out.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It was the first time I gave him pork kidney. It was only about the size of a coin. Do you think he is just not used to it? I don't know why it is so hard to switch to raw. And my family keeps trying to discourage me from doing it after the first diarrhea from the bone and this loose stool from kidney. They said he had been happy and fine, and now I am causing problem for his bowel. Now I don't know if I should try kidney again or anything other than raw chicken.... (headache...)

·
Banned
952 Posts
It was the first time I gave him pork kidney. It was only about the size of a coin. Do you think he is just not used to it? I don't know why it is so hard to switch to raw. And my family keeps trying to discourage me from doing it after the first diarrhea from the bone and this loose stool from kidney. They said he had been happy and fine, and now I am causing problem for his bowel. Now I don't know if I should try kidney again or anything other than raw chicken.... (headache...)
The kidney didn't cause the diarrhea, Hobbes. Whatever you fed to the cat at the meal or two before the kidney caused it.

Don't lose hope!

What are you feeding on a regular basis? If it's just chicken, and no bone, that would explain the loose stools.

You might want to take a step back, slow down a bit... if either your or Hobbes is not ready to be 100% raw, then going 100% raw will only cause stress for you both.

Can you feed canned in the morning while you and Hobbes are working the raw transition?

AC

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I normally give him canned food (chicken soup for pet lover or wellness) mixed with raw chicken meat and calcium lactate.
He has been doing well so far.
Everytime I give him something new, I get nervous. Last time I put a bit of sesame seed in his food, he also went straight into litter and had loose stool.
This time he went into litter like 10-15 minutes after eating pork kidney....
He normally poops at certain time in the afternoon, and when something makes his bowel moves faster, he would go right away at different time.
I tried beef last week, and he didn't like it, acting like it was something yucky...

·
Banned
952 Posts
I normally give him canned food (chicken soup for pet lover or wellness) mixed with raw chicken meat and calcium lactate.
He has been doing well so far.
Everytime I give him something new, I get nervous. Last time I put a bit of sesame seed in his food, he also went straight into litter and had loose stool.
This time he went into litter like 10-15 minutes after eating pork kidney....
He normally poops at certain time in the afternoon, and when something makes his bowel moves faster, he would go right away at different time.
I tried beef last week, and he didn't like it, acting like it was something yucky...
You fed your cat... sesame seed?

Based on this, the cooked bone and the calcium lactate mixed into Hobbes canned foods, I think I would respectfully advise you to return to a fully canned diet for a couple of weeks (with no supplementation of anything), then do some in-depth reading on what raw feeding is, how it's done and how to make a proper transition.

It's admirable to want to feed your kitty only the best, but it's better to take it nice and slow, understanding what you're doing and why, than to jump right into it.

These threads, sites and articles should be helpful:Best regards.

AC

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't put any bone since last time. I put only raw meat and calcium lactate....
I did do research on switching to raw diet. Some sites suggest to slowly add raw meat into canned food, which I did. But the problem rises when I try anything other than raw chicken. He just woke me up by going to litter to poop 2 more times this morning.
Can anyone tell me what I did wrong? I mean adding calcium lactate and raw meat to canned food.....(I know sesame is stupid by now, but I added just a few seeds cuz I saw some treats contain it.)

·
Registered
93 Posts
What is the ratio of raw food vs. canned food?
If your cat is not completely over to the raw food, I would not feed anything considered to be rich.

Did you look at how much you should feed calcium? As far as I understand, there are different recommend amount depending on the type of calcium supplement (e.g. lactate vs carbonate). You should not feed too much calcium.

If your cat continues to have tummy trouble, you may want to give your cat probiotic supplement or digestive enzyme, while slowing down the transition. You can find those supplements from onlynaturalpet.com. Well... I am not in such a good position to give an advice on your cat's tummy trouble. :p My own cat is still having loose stool and I am still trying to figure out what to do, at least it's not runny nor stinky.... :p

If you are worried about balancing your cat's diet, there are multiple different ways to start off feeding raw, which I went through.

1. Commercial raw: I started off with Primal Starter Pack (free sample with various meat nuggets). I mixed this in my cat's food little by little, increasing the amount of it. While doing so, I also figured out which meat my cat likes.
I'd recommend Primal Chicken or Turkey. I like Rad cat too.

2. Premix: One of my cat eats a lot and commercial raw was a little expensive. I did not have confidence doing it on my own. I started off with premix from tcfeline. The instruction is very simple but make sure you measure everything as instructed on the bag. You can order tcfeline from the Internet. The price is not too bad but not cheaper than the commercial raw. The advantage is that I get to choose the meat and the quality is a lot better than the commercial raw. My cats loved it.

3. Home-made ground raw: This is where I am at now. There was some initial investment to buy grinder and supplements but as I get to buy whole chicken etc, it becomes a little cheaper in the long run. I use recipe from catinfo.org

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hobbes, I just wanted to reiterate part of what AC mentioned:

No bone = Loose Stool

Supplemental calcium does not do the whole job of real bone, and does not act as a stool firmer.

Also, if you are trying to give the calcium lactate as a a calcium supplement (since you mentioned that you are not currently giving any bone), I think you may be confused, since I have never heard of it being used for this purpose. A more appropriate calcium supplement would be calcium carbonate.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
What is the ratio of raw food vs. canned food?
If your cat is not completely over to the raw food, I would not feed anything considered to be rich.

Did you look at how much you should feed calcium? As far as I understand, there are different recommend amount depending on the type of calcium supplement (e.g. lactate vs carbonate). You should not feed too much calcium.

If your cat continues to have tummy trouble, you may want to give your cat probiotic supplement or digestive enzyme, while slowing down the transition. You can find those supplements from onlynaturalpet.com. Well... I am not in such a good position to give an advice on your cat's tummy trouble. :p My own cat is still having loose stool and I am still trying to figure out what to do, at least it's not runny nor stinky.... :p

If you are worried about balancing your cat's diet, there are multiple different ways to start off feeding raw, which I went through.

1. Commercial raw: I started off with Primal Starter Pack (free sample with various meat nuggets). I mixed this in my cat's food little by little, increasing the amount of it. While doing so, I also figured out which meat my cat likes.
I'd recommend Primal Chicken or Turkey. I like Rad cat too.

2. Premix: One of my cat eats a lot and commercial raw was a little expensive. I did not have confidence doing it on my own. I started off with premix from tcfeline. The instruction is very simple but make sure you measure everything as instructed on the bag. You can order tcfeline from the Internet. The price is not too bad but not cheaper than the commercial raw. The advantage is that I get to choose the meat and the quality is a lot better than the commercial raw. My cats loved it.

3. Home-made ground raw: This is where I am at now. There was some initial investment to buy grinder and supplements but as I get to buy whole chicken etc, it becomes a little cheaper in the long run. I use recipe from catinfo.org
The ratio is 1 part of raw to 3 parts of canned.

I calculated the amount of calcium supplement and weighed the raw meat.
For 30g of raw chicken meat, I add about 30mg calcium lactate.
Actually, after I removed kidney, he had normal stool (this time without calcium lactate). And then he had loose stool again (not runny or stinky either) after eating raw chicken in canned, so I suspect it was the calcium lactate.
I stopped using calcium lactate, and used bone meal (it was hard to measure, but I sprinkled like 1/8 teaspoon bone meal for 30g of raw chicken, and he became constipated. )

Thank you for the suggestions. I will look into commercial raw and home-made ground raw.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I see that I am mistaken and that some others do use it. However, some quick research has shown me why I have never heard of it being used.

Put simply, mg per mg, calcium lactate (a calcium salt) contains the lowest quantity of pure calcium (only 13%) of any calcium supplement. Calcium carbonate is much more popular due to its low cost and the fact that it is 40% (the highest available) pure calcium.

This is the best source that I found in my quick search:
The Calcium Information Resource

Check out the section at the bottom that explains elemental calcium percentages.

Ultimately, there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with using calcium lactate, although you would have to use about three times as much as compared to calcium carbonate in order to properly balance the phosphorous content of meat.

Ex:
I have heard that 1000mg of calcium carbonate will balance one pound of meat. Because the ratio should be 1:1, and 1000mg of calcium carbonate is actually 40% (400mg) pure calcium, this assumes there is ~400mg of phosphorous in a pound of meat.

If one were to use calcium lactate instead, you would require 3076mg of calcium lactate to balance a pound of meat containing 400mg of phosphorous.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts