Cat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, all has been great! He was back to himself, regular poop, no problems. I noticed near the end of the day, his poop was getting a little less firm for the past 3 days or so, but in general it was healthy poop!

I wasnt home last night. Tuesday was the last day of his medicine all together. I left for the night last night and got home around 9 this morning. I scooped his box and it was nothing but clumps of litter. I had to inspect, so I broke some apart and whaddaya know, it was more diarrhea!

I wound up giving him another 1/4 tab of Pepcid, hoping that might help. 3 times today he's gone, and it's been liquidy pudding consistency. UGH!!!

Could it be his old food still giving him the runs? I'm still mixing in his Hill's z/d with it. Was the FortiFlora the only thing keeping his stomach settled? Now that it's gone he's back to diarrhea.

The part that sucks is that the wonderful doctor called this morning on my way home and asked how he was doing, and I told her he was doing great.. Because up until then he WAS! I am going to call back in the morning and ask what this could be..

I can't afford to go through another run of this.

My heart sinks every time I see him lay down and take a breather. He's acting FINE, and actually being QUITE the trouble maker again.

WTH!!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I share your pain! My kitty has the runs too today. I just was at the vet also for possible ringworm on monday, and I am thinking that maybe it was the vet visit or a bad can of cat food. I don't know what to do for her but make her comfortable and wait and watch for improvement. The vet bills are just painfull! I seem to be there often. :( I wish you and your little kitty the best and I hope he feels better soon. :patback

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bah, it's so frustrating sometimes huh? I just went through a 2 week long horror story with this little boy, and I was so very certain we were back on the road to recovery.

As soon as his antibiotics and FortiFlora were gone, his runs came back. I just spent something like $400 or more on his vet bills when this first happened and I so cannot afford to go through that again. Vet said it could maybe be Pancreatitis and/or IBD, or possibly beginning stages of lymphoma. However, there were absolutely NO signs of cancer, so I don't know why she had to go and put that terrible thought in my head.

His appetite is fine, I have not given him ANY food or treats other than his regular food and his Hill's z/d. He's drinking plenty of water and he's up and playing and being a jerkface like he usually is. I hope I am just worrying for nothing and his diarrhea will clear itself up, but after the last issue, it's hard to just hope he's still doing fine. Bah!

Anyway, thanks!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welp.. I called his vet today and she is just about as disappointedas I am. She wants me to pick up a whole box of FortiFlora since that seemed to have helped him immensely. She wants him on it for another week or two or however long. Basically, she's hoping his diarrhea was just stress from me leaving him for the night. Could be, but maybe not.

Failing the FortiFlora working again, she wants to put him on Pred. Shes very apprehensive because she does not know 100% what's causing this and because he is so young.

I'll look into the Propectalin, I don't think I've ever heard of it, but Im willing to try anything I can at this point.. again.

-Shannon

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Shannon, not that I'm saying your vet is bad, but have you considered getting a second opinion since she hasn't figured out what's bothering him?

*Hugs for you!* I know how frustrating and emotional it can be when your baby is sick.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
He was also getting Miralax and Immodium, wasn't he? Is he still getting either of those?

With all the stuff he's been getting - antibiotics and Miralax which loosen his stool - Immodium and Fortiflora which firm his stool - it's not surprising that his system is having difficulty normalizing now that all of these drugs are no longer being administered (I assume). That's not even taking into consideration the diet changes, stress of the illness itself, hospitalization, and your absence - any one of which would be enough to trigger diarrhea in many cats.

I think continuing with Fortiflora is a good idea, as it will help rebalance his beneficial gut bacteria. I would hold off on Propectalin, though, and give your boy a week or two for his gut to settle and see if this new bout of diarrhea will resolve on its own. His body needs some time to relax and get back to its own norm.

Laurie

·
Registered
709 Posts
As someone who suffers IBS (and two of my kitties) I would urge you to get him on Slippery Elm Bark Powder (found at any human health food store). It's cheap and with the Fortiflora might fix him.

Stress, change, strong emotions, pain, anxiety, and food can ALL make the IBS flare like crazy.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He was also getting Miralax and Immodium, wasn't he? Is he still getting either of those?
No. I only gave him the Immodium once, and I am fairly certain the dr did not give him any, since she had given him 2 enemas to clean him out. He was too sick by the time I tried to give him the Miralax, so no he never had any of that.

He was only taking Enrofloxacin, FortiFlora and Pepcid after I got him back from the vet. The day the FortiFlora ran out, he had diarrhea again. I understand stress and the changein food can cause this, but I am terrified it's just starting all over again. As of Tuesday morning, he has only had Pepcid.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Well, Pepcid is a stomach acid reducer, which is also going to have some impact on digestion, I would think.As long as he's passing stool that at least has the consistency of pudding, I wouldn't panic. If his stool turns completely liquid, then he may be constipating again and pushing liquid stool out around the constipated matter.

Laurie

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
I don't know the whole situation, but Simba has IBS and he uses Benefiber to help firm up his stool. Like I said, I am just jumping into the middle of the conversation without knowing much, but thought that I would share our experience.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts