Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My vet says its caused from the antibiotics my cat is on. So they said to get an anti-diarrhea for her from the store it is made for human's but she can take it. I don't remember what it was called it started with a k or c. Anyone have any clue or if it really isn't safe for my cat, because I'm about to find another vet for her?

·
Registered
21 Posts
It sounds like you are talking about Kaopectate, which is an anti diarheal that uses pectin from apples as it's main ingredient. I don't know if it is good for cats tho. I generally try not to give human medication to my kitties because they are adverse to many substances that don't harm us (e.g. tylenol and asprin are deadly to cats) When my kitty had diahrrea, the vet prescribed science diet c/d, and it worked like a charm.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what does c/d stand for?? I might try taking her food away for 12-24 hours, think that'd be okay?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm not sure but I think it stands for (c)onstipation/(d)iahrrea. You could take her food away, but I don't think that's going to help soon enough as it takes 24-36 hours for food to pass completely through the digestive system, and she might think she is being punished for having diahrrea. If she is a longhair or medium longhair, I would recommend trimming the fur around her behind with a pair of safety (dull points) scissors, that will help keep the diahrrea from getting spread all over the place. Also, keep a supply of wet wipes handy to help clean her up. Also, it wasn't science diet, but prescription diet, and I think it's only available at vet offices. I've never seen it in petco or petsmart. Maybe this link will help.

http://www.hillspet.com/products/produc ... 65&PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524441760570

hope everything works out ok.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh this vet has pissed me off beyond belief. He gave me antibiotics to give to her for 10 days he gave me half of what was supposed to be in the bottle! I was just gonna take her food away because I was reading on another board to take food away give only water for 12-24 hours then for 2 days feed baby food.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sounds like it's time for a new vet. If I were in your place, I would politely inform the vet of the new Kaopectate formulation so they don't give someone else potentially tragic advice.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Ditto, what Sang72 said. Print out one of the links and politely show your vet. He SHOULD be aware of the change to Kaopectate as the info. was released a few months ago ago but give him the benefit of the doubt. Good luck with your kitty.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Kaopectate hasn't contained pectin in years, either. It's just a chemical soup now, and toxic for kitties.

c/d stands for "cystitis diet." It has nothing to do with the GI tract, it is a highly acidifying diet for kitties who get struvite crystals in the urine. It is also very fattening.

What is the vet treating with antibiotics? To combat the diarrhea safely, get an acidophilus or other probiotic supplement at the health food store and add 1/2 capsule to wet food twice a day starting right away and continuing a week or two past the antibiotics.

Fasting for diarrhea does not apply in this situation, since you know why the diarrhea is occurring. Fasting is mostly helpful for acute-onset diarrhea of unknown cause where the cat is acting normally otherwise. I wouldn't do it in this case. You will only unbalance the cat's system even more than the damage done by the antibiotics and cause much worse GI upset.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Shes on antibiotics for her sneezing she got from the vet. They're switching her antibiotics they think it could be from that. It'll take 3-4 days though. I don't give my cat wet food only dry. And if I gave her wet food now wouldn't that cause diarrhea?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Sneezing is usually due to a virus, also. Antibiotics won't help.

If she already has diarrhea, wet food isn't likely to make it any worse. However, start with just a small amount. It's important to always go slowly when changing the diet.

It is crucial to feed wet food to cats. Dry food is not good for cats. It is convenient, that's all. Dry food does not clean the teeth, and it causes or contributes to many diseases including obesity, urinary tract problems, kidney disease and diabetes. For more info on why canned food is important, as well as supplement info and articles on other nutrition topics, please see our free article library at http://www.littlebigcat.com/?action=library.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sorry I don't believe in that, my family has had many cats and we always fed them dry food and have never had such problems. On the other hand know a couple people who feed their cat wet food and they have many dental problems. Thanks for the advise though. and its not just normal sneezing its something she caught at the shelter, its like the dog's kettle cough they get.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I am always a little surprised, and saddened, by people who are so set in their opinion that they refuse to even look at new information that could challenge their views.

Frankly, I don't get it. What's to "believe in"? This isn't about Santa Claus. There are studies--many studies--that support what I've said about nutrition. One of my more complete articles is offered for sale on our website, called "What Cats Should Eat." It's extensively referenced. I'd be happy to send you a copy--free--*IF* you can honestly tell me you'll read it with an open mind.

Ultimately, all I can do is offer the articles I mentioned, you can read them or not. You can "believe" them or not. You can feed what you want. But, I suggest that you get yourself educated about *all* the facts before you make your decision. You are not serving the best interest of your cats when you refuse to even consider that things just might have, possibly, maybe, could be, changed, and that what you have done before (based on the best knowledge available at the time) may *not* be the right thing to do now, based upon what we know now.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 14 of 14 Posts