Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had Otis (5 yr old m/n) for two years now and he is the most cool cat ever.
I adopted Caspian a couple weeks ago to be Otis' buddy.
Caspian had been being fostered since he and his siblings were rescued from a high kill shelter. His foster Mom told me the entire litter had been sick when she rescued them, but they were all nursed back to health. She told me Caspian had had Herpes, but was all better now (he is nearly 2 years old). She said that under stress he would sometimes have a flare up and gave me an ointment for his eyes. She said his "third eyelid" would sometimes become inflamed and to use the ointment if that happened.
Caspian seems fine as far as his eyes go. However, in the past few days he has started sneezing.
Today Otis is sneezing!
The rescue lady did not tell me that the herpes Caspian had was contagious to other cats!
Now with Otis sneezing I am afraid that I made him sick. :(

Could Caspian have passed this on to Otis even if Otis has been vaccinated? I feel so bad for being so ignorant about this Herpes virus.

Do I need to get both of the cats to the vet?

I really hope I, in my ignorance, have not caused Otis to be sick. It just breaks my heart as Otis is truly my special little fur-man.

·
Registered
88 Posts
There is always a small chance that a vaccinated cat (or human, for that matter) won't react to the vaccine and build up immunity, but that is very unlikely. I wouldn't fret it's herpes, cats get many different viruses, just like us humans - it's probably just a cold!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I agree, probably is just a cold. Also this time of year many cats get allergies, one of ours sneezes, gets a dirty nose and his eyes have a little drainage. He gets it every year, spring and fall. When one cat gets a cold the others can get it too. Not much you can do for them, just let it run its turn. I would keep an eye on them and if things get worse call your vet and let them know what is going on.

Congratulations to you for giving Caspian a home.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your responses. I've had a huge lump in my throat thinking both my kitties were ill.
Hopefully it's just a cold/allergies.
If there's no nasty looking discharges (eyes, nose) does it take a week or so to clear like a "human" cold?

Acting normal and eating normal.

·
Super Moderator
18,394 Posts
Feline herpes virus is a cold. Most cats that come from a rescue situation have already been exposed to it and are carriers for the rest of their lives. In normal situations, their immune system suppresses symptoms. Stress can lower the immune system and allow symptoms to become evident. Otis more than likely was already a carrier and the stress of introducing a new cat into his territory is what brought on the symptoms.

Anyway, it's typically not a major deal. Watch both of them to make sure they're eating, not lethargic, and not running a fever. Cats won't eat if they can't smell their food so a stuffy nose can be a problem. If either of them loses interest in food, you can help by putting them in a steamy bathroom for 15-20 minutes before mealtime. Putting wet food in the microwave for 8-10 seconds will really stink it up.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My cat came from the shelter with a "kitty cold" and today is exactly one week since I've adopted her and she's doing amazingly well, I still hear a sneeze here and there but they're so few and far that it's not a huge concern to me any more. She has been "released" by me to be by my Duke and all is well so far, My other cat hasn't shown signs of sickness and has been well.

·
Banned
952 Posts
Feline herpes virus is a cold. Most cats that come from a rescue situation have already been exposed to it and are carriers for the rest of their lives. In normal situations, their immune system suppresses symptoms. Stress can lower the immune system and allow symptoms to become evident. Otis more than likely was already a carrier and the stress of introducing a new cat into his territory is what brought on the symptoms.

Anyway, it's typically not a major deal. Watch both of them to make sure they're eating, not lethargic, and not running a fever. Cats won't eat if they can't smell their food so a stuffy nose can be a problem. If either of them loses interest in food, you can help by putting them in a steamy bathroom for 15-20 minutes before mealtime. Putting wet food in the microwave for 8-10 seconds will really stink it up.
Yep and yep (except I don't recommend microwaving foods meant for cats).

And don't feel guilty! Just keep an eye on them.

How is the intro going?

AC

·
Registered
88 Posts
Feline herpes virus is a cold.
But it's not the only virus that causes a cold, right? In humans, we can get a flu shot but still come down with a cold, because over 200 viruses can cause it and it's simply not practical to produce that many vaccines. I assume cats can't be that different from us.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How is the intro going?

AC
Here is a picture of what they were doing when I was studying last week-end. Otis on the left, Caspian on the right

They don't interact much yet, but there is no fighting or anything. They both started their lives living with other cats so I think that may have helped them with tolerance.

·
Super Moderator
18,394 Posts
Yep and yep (except I don't recommend microwaving foods meant for cats).
To me, a sick cat not eating for a few meals is a lot more harmful than anything a microwave can do heating a few meals to lukewarm.

·
Super Moderator
18,394 Posts
But it's not the only virus that causes a cold, right? In humans, we can get a flu shot but still come down with a cold, because over 200 viruses can cause it and it's simply not practical to produce that many vaccines. I assume cats can't be that different from us.
No, it's not like humans, herpes and calicivirus are behind the vast majority of feline URIs. Something like 80-90%.

·
Banned
952 Posts
To me, a sick cat not eating for a few meals is a lot more harmful than anything a microwave can do heating a few meals to lukewarm.
Hi, Doodlebug!

If those were the only two options, I'd totally be on the same bandwagon. But there are other, safer, ways to heat the food (a little warm water mixed in, for instance, both warms the food without the potential of nutrient degradation and provides a little extra moisture).

This is one of those awareness and comfort level topics, and everyone will have their own - perfectly valid, for them - opinion. :)

AC

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
To offer some reassurance, I have a cat with feline herpes. It's likely both my cats carry it, but only one is regularly symptomatic. It's extremely common in cats. I think I read something like 80% of rescued strays already carry the virus.

Thankfully it's only serious in very young kittens or immunocompromised cats. Your average healthy cat or older kitten may express occasional symptoms in the form of a cold (sneezing, runny nose, a little clear/white/pinkish eye goop or crust) or may never even show symptoms at all beyond one initial cold.

Apollo came home from the shelter with a URI, (some sneezing and watery eyes) probably due to the herpes virus, (but I'm not sure) and hasn't ever had a cold since then. My second cat, Athena, is the symptomatic one, and she gets occasional colds, but never anything super serious.

The signs you want to watch out for are lack of appetite, green coloration to the nose or eye mucous (that can indicate an infection), or personality/energy level changes like lethargy. But as long as they seem to have fairly normal energy levels, normal appetites, and just some sneezing or watery eyes/nose, then you probably don't have to worry. It should clear up on its own.

·
Banned
952 Posts
My first feral rehab litter, Allen, Rachel and Meghan, are the only three of my six that have ever evidenced any symptoms and, for them, it has only ever been the weepy eyes (thank goodness).

When I switched to raw, all the symptoms went away (better nutrition makes for a stronger body), however, the addition of one cat and fostering of two cats for ten months last year stressed everyone out, and Allen's eyes started weeping again. Although the fosters left in December, the weeping hasn't improved, but I'm hoping it will soon.

Supportive care for Herpes virus cats is a daily 500mg dose of L-Lysine; during flare-ups, that can be doubled. Of course, maintaining a routine and keeping stress levels to a minimum is helpful.

<<<Hugs>>> for the scare, and hope everyone's back to normal soon!

AC

·
Registered
88 Posts
No, it's not like humans, herpes and calicivirus are behind the vast majority of feline URIs. Something like 80-90%.
Thanks, I didn't know that!

To the OP, I found this about herpes

It’s important to realise that vaccination will not necessarily prevent your cat becoming infected but will drastically reduce the severity of the disease.
so if Otis did catch herpes from Caspian, it's not likely that it will be a big deal for him. Hugs for both kitties :2kitties

1 - 15 of 15 Posts