Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fustrated with both my vets while they might have the best interest in the health and wellbeing for the feline in general, I can't get the collective input, for needed help, that other cat lovers exsperence with such issues can do, since we generally are being interested in well more than just our little friends health.
I have a 13 1/2 old neutered hymalayian named WonTon, better known as The Want. He normally weighs 18lbs. (big bones) but has been as much as 22lbs. He has lost 2 pounds over the last month and hasn't been fat for years. He's been arthritic for about 2yrs and dealing with ongoing constipation for about 4yrs and it's been a real problem getting him to eat anything that could help his condition. I know cats are finicky, but Want is fiiiinnniikiiittyiiddy. We tried high fibers, OsteO-3, Metmucil, babyfood,Petromil and similar products, and every canned cat food on the market. He won't lick my icecream, eat chicken, liver, fish, yogurt, butter, milk or bugs. Nothing but a small variety of dry foods over the years, like Ekanuba, Ians, and science Diet except, of course, the presciption science diet k the vet orderd after blood results showed beginning signs of renal failure beginning of this year. He litterally starved pounds off. I had to let him eat his regular Ekanuba. The only major health issue that we ever have been through is a surgical proccedure removing one of his thyroid because the quality of our personal relationship was suffering on account of me making him take a pill everyday. This is a cat that was never made to do anything because everything we did was made enjoyable. Even bathing him was never a problem and most of the time he'd let me know he wanted it by getting in the shop tub on his own time. He was raised in a grooming shop and I think the whole deal was " If a dog can do it, well then..." you know how cats can be. Anyways, to get back to what's become a real problem I'll finish this up.
Want has been an indoor cat up untill that surgery. He almost didn't make it due to several seriuos complications. High fever, bacterial infection, and hepatic lipidosis made for a difficult recovery so I decided to introduce new adventure. It has been that for me also. However, The constipation never got any better, nor the bone degeneration and I got tired of feeling like I was overeacting by taking him in to the vet and being told he's fine so I took him to see his first vet across town. He hadn't been seen by her in about 6 years. I brought her up to date, she checked him out, said he was fine but rather than giving a cortersone shot, (other vet gave 4 over a corse of time) gave me Metacam and proceeded to give him his first dose of 15 drops. And a small sample of a food product calledHealthy Life, which he loves. The Metacam was to be given 15 drops per day for 2 more days and 2 drops twice a week after.
That was 6 days ago and 3 days ago he had a bowel movement of hard stool followed by runny mucuosy horrible smelling diarhea and continues to have small squirts thruout the day. He is in alot of pain I can tell by his crying and the way he walks close to the ground and the look on his face and the way he tries to lay down and the way he lays down andthe way he drinks water and I don't know which vet to take him to if eithetr at all! The stool has a very srtrong metalic smell. There is nothing in the yard he could get into and he cannot get out of the yard. He is still drinking well but not eating, maybe because sample is gone. Order comes tomorrow. He is depressed and hides but no fever as of yet. Any ideas?

·
Registered
185 Posts
How is your kitty doing now?

I've been curious about Metacam for cats myself. It is approved for dogs presently but the buzz is more and more vets are prescribing it for cats.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
My dog was on metacam for a short while and it caused diarrhea for her.
Why is the cat taking it? Not for everything else you are discribing...just for the Arthritis right? If I recall correctly it's an antiinflammatory med. isn't it?
My dog was on about 8 medicines at one point, so i maybe mistaking it for something else.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Metacam is not safe for cats, particularly cats with renal insufficiency which, by the history, this cat has. My sources report that the maximum dosage of Meloxicam ("American" dose) in cats is 2 drops every 3 days; I don't know the strength of the formulation you're using, but this could constitute a severe overdose. If you have not stopped giving this drug, please do so immediately. It can put cats into acute renal failure. Please take this kitty to a vet who knows cats, right away!

Good luck!
Dr. Jean

1 - 4 of 4 Posts