Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Merida and Smudge are siblings - they are former ferals that I watched grow up in my barn, and kidnapped them at around 12 weeks. They are about 4 months old now.

Smudge is an extremely active kitten, always underfoot, loves to be in my lap, just what I'd consider a normal hyperactive baby cat.

Merida has a very different purrsonality. More on her dignity than Smudge, she stays back most times, loves to be petted but not really interested in laps. The odd thing about her, that I've not seen in other young cats of my acquaintance, is that she spends a lot of her time flat out on her side. I have seen her trip or collapse on a hind leg, though there's no evidence of pain and she is, after all, a kitten.

Still, I was worried about it, so had the vet take a brief feel of her hindquarters, since they have some kind of Big Cat blood (Maine Coon or Siberian, at a guess), and I know that Coons, at least, can have hip dysplasia. Had her check for patella issues as well (my last cat had luxating patellas) - nothing. I'm a worrywart so we decided to do nothing further at this time, since it's probably just me being silly.

They play together normally, so I think the "flat cat syndrome" is just part of her purrsonality.

Is it normal for siblings from the same litter (both females) to be so different in temperament? Or should I worry about how much quieter Merida is compared to her more active sister?

·
Registered
448 Posts
We have 2 sister siblings from the same litter raised by momma in a rescue foster home. They have different personalities. One is in love with my husband and the other seems to give him the stink eye. She is getting a bit better with him, but still just not into him. He is loving to both of them. The one who loves my husband isn't much of a lap cat, but seems to try harder with him. She tends to be more unsettled and moving around. The other one who is a lap cat is totally into me! One has a raspy meow, the other has a high-pitched meow. They are shut in my daughter's room at night and one likes to sleep on her bed and the other tends to go under the bed, although sometimes they sleep together. They are 6 months old, and both like to play and tackle each other.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I have two litter mates that were raised together and they definitely have their own personalities. I've had them since 7 weeks and they are a year old now. My boy is more independent and prefers to decide when he wants me to pet him or snuggle. He's a little more playful than his sister (constantly chasing his own tail) and rarely makes any noise other an a squeak or two when I'm about to put the food bowl down. My girl is more of a lap cat and always likes to snuggle. She is very noisy- meowing, purring, trilling- and doesn't play on her own as much as her brother. Cats are very much individuals and I don't think different personalities are anything to worry about.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts