Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a six year old female persian/calico mix. She was spayed when she was about a year old. I noticed yesterday that she seemed to be having trouble urinating. She would go to a spot and squat then start to urinate and get up and move to another spot and start over. Then about an hour ago she was sitting in the kitchen in the floor and went over to a shallow box in the floor and squatted I wanted to monitor her urinating so I could see if she was going or not. Well after I called her she got up and I checked and it was almost all blood. She has never had any other problems before. She has been perfectly healthy although she is a little overweight. She has been meowing quite often as of late and she never has before. She is still eating normally and drinking water. I think it is the water they drink because it is the city water with all the chlorine in it. Can I still let her drink water although she is having trouble urinating?? I plan on calling her vet ASAP he is not in until 8AM tomorrow morning so thats why Im posting here. Thank you in advance

***Sidenote***
I had a dog a male cocker spaniel he did the same thing only his was a lot worse because his bladder almost burst. He had two blockages and had emergency surgery to remove them and was put on anti-botics two times afterwards. I think it is the water they drink because it is the city water with all the chlorine in it.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Is there another vet, an emergency vet in your area? I would suggest looking in the phone book and trying to find an emergency number. Or call some vet offices and see if they take emergencys!

It sounds serious..I wouldnt waight.

Good luck! Keep us updated.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Females generally don't block like males can, but a trip to the vet is still the best idea.

City water is often a problem, though not likely to be the only contributor. I recommend filtered or spring water for cats--not tap, well or distilled (all can cause problems).

Diet is another big contributor. For my clients, dry food is prohibited for cats who have had urinary tract problems. Canned (non-fish) food is much safer for them because the higher protein and lower carbs naturally acidify the urine, and the extra moisture helps keep the urine dilute and the bladder and kidneys happy.

You can read more about these problems in "Urinary Tract Disorders in Cats" and "Why Cats Need Canned Food" in our free article library at http://www.littlebigcat.com/?action=library.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To drjean:
Females generally don't block like males can, but a trip to the vet is still the best idea.

City water is often a problem, though not likely to be the only contributor. I recommend filtered or spring water for cats--not tap, well or distilled (all can cause problems).

Diet is another big contributor. For my clients, dry food is prohibited for cats who have had urinary tract problems. Canned (non-fish) food is much safer for them because the higher protein and lower carbs naturally acidify the urine, and the extra moisture helps keep the urine dilute and the bladder and kidneys happy.

You can read more about these problems in "Urinary Tract Disorders in Cats" and "Why Cats Need Canned Food" in our free article library at http://www.littlebigcat.com/?action=library.
Thank you so much for all the information. I will be sure to check the link you gave me. Thanks again! :)

To Lilly:
Is there another vet, an emergency vet in your area? I would suggest looking in the phone book and trying to find an emergency number. Or call some vet offices and see if they take emergencys!

It sounds serious..I wouldnt waight.

Good luck! Keep us updated.
Well you see that was my problem. There are no emergency or 24 hr hospitals and no other vet anywhere. I looked up some places in the phone book and they all told me they couldn't even answer questions unless you were a patient (what a crock!!) but GOOD NEWS I took her to the vet this morning and he said she had a UTI and prescribed her some medicine and said if she wasn't better in two days bring her back. Thank GOD I just hope she will be ok. Thanks for your concern.

To Aonir:
Could be a Unirary tract infection, or kidney problems..
You were exactly right. Thanks so much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts