Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, please dont scare me anymore than I already am. My darling lil gal is approaching 3 years now. Fit as a fiddle, at least according to her last check up a year ago. She's always had an odd thing that I dont know if other cats also display. Her pupils can temporarily be different sizes. Theyre the same size all the time apart from occasional moments when, f.ex., the light switches suddenly or she's staring at something intently. Sometimes, I notice then that her pupils are at a different size, until she gets bored with staring at whatever she was staring at, then they return to normal.

Since its only something she does rarely for a few seconds, I've never really been worried, but stupid me for googling it. I turned up god knows how many pages on horrific diseases that might be causing this; this didnt really worry me at first, because theres a lot of scandalous and sensational hysteria on the internet, but Im worried that I didnt get any hits saying, "oh, thats normal if it only happens very rarely." That worried me.

Any experiences, anyone?

·
Super Moderator
26,658 Posts
Omg, the dreaded google search. Been there.

I think there are many times that one eye is a tiny bit more exposed to the light, depending on where in the room the light source is located. I notice that with my girls, too, but if they turn their heads just a little, both pupils return to the same size.

·
Super Moderator
26,658 Posts
I almost rushed Cinderella to the E.R., only to post here and find out she was "chattering" at the birds.

and not having a seizure :oops:

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
If she's three and it has alway been the case, plus the fact that it corrects itself so rapidly, it is probably a normal reaction to variation in the light. I don't think you need to worry. Why not ring your vet if you are till worried, rather than taking her in?

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yeah, Ill certainly be monitoring it and will pop in to my vet this week for a talk, but Im not that worried anymore. I was sure it was a momentary reaction to light (until I made the google mistake which revealed about 10 different zombie diseases - none mention temporary changes, though).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts