Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cat is @ 15. He has been diagnosed with pancreatitis, hepatic liver failure, mega-colon, and as a result, often throws up his food. We give him a mix of Hills Science Diet Z/D (prescription) and Blue dry foods. We also give him small amounts of wet food. Sometimes he will go days without throwing up and then he will sometimes throw up two or three times a day. When we give him Greenies as a treat, those stay down. Saturday night, I indulged him with about 15 greenies. I have looked for a food similar to greenies, but cannot find one.

Can anyone help me? I have tried BARF and raw foods. No good.

Thanks from a newbie.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hello. So sorry to hear about your cat's digestive issues. I was going to ask if you'd tried raw but it seems you have. (By the way, whose idea was BARF for an acronym? So gross.)

At 15 he's getting up there in years and a huge dietary change probably isn't going to sit very well with either his tastes or his tummy at this point. Maybe you could talk to your vet about the benefits of probiotics or protein supplements? I don't really know but I'm hoping for the best for you both.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Penguin. He's really a sweet cat. This all began @ 7 years ago and gradually spiraled from bad to worse. Vet actually had us consider a feeding tube, but we refused. For @ a month, I fed him 10 to 12 times a day via syringe. The week of November 11, 2006 (I remember 'cause it was my daughter's birthday and we had just moved back into our home post-katrina), he finally started cleaning himself and eating canned food again, and I was able to put the syringes away. And he IS better now than then. Just wish there was something more I could do.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts