Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would often find little expanded pieces of dry food floating in Peanut's water dish. I thought this was an accident (sometimes there can be quite a few in there) so I moved the water a little further away from the food. Well, they're still in there. Is she doing this herself? My husband thinks she might be wanting to soften the food pieces before she eats them but they float in there for so long that it doesn't seem like she's coming back for them.

any ideas :?:

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Samhain does this on purpose. I have watched her. She scoops out the food with her hand, puts it in the water, stirs it around, and then scoops it out again and eats it with her hand. I have NO idea why she does this.. but ones she doesn't retrieve just stay in the water - she won't eat them either if they're all soggy and gross. I have to rinse her silly bowl out constantly! I thought maybe she was raised by racoons hehehehe.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hehe that's funny. I should set up a video camera and see if Peanut is doing this on purpose, too....sounds pretty "normal" though, thanks to you both for replying.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Same thing happens here. I've never seen the cats actually putting the food bits in the water, but somehow, a little gets in there everyday. Now, Callie took a spell earlier in the week for a couple of days where she was pawing most of the food out of her food dish onto the floor. It was a big mess. I'd sit there and watch her do it. We have a big self-feeder thing that we usually keep a good sized amount of food in, so when she would paw it out, more food fell down. I had to put very little food in it for a while. Now she doen't seem to be doing it anymore. Strange how they will do certain things.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts