Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cat can rip through the house at high speeds and attack her toys just fine, however when I was cutting her nails, I noticed something that looks like a thick scab surrounding them. Instead of the light pink skin that her nails grow from, this is dark purple. Does anybody have any ideas as to what this is, and does it require vet attention? her behavior hasn't changed at all. Thanks

·
Registered
265 Posts
It's hard to say what it is without looking at it. Some cats have a darker pigment than others and instead of the nail bed being pink it can be black or a few shades lighter.

If her nail bed has always been pink and now you are noticing the change in color it could be a nail bed infection. Sometimes it has a smell to it and it will get crusty. An infection needs veterinary attention to clear it up.

Are all of her nails like that or just a couple? It's possible too that she might have bruised them if it was just a couple.

Just a few thoughts.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I never thought that it could be an infection, but that makes a lot of sense. They are pretty crusty and it is only a couple of nails. Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts