Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at cat condos, none of which would fit in the space I have in mind (kitty corner, as I dubbed it) I'm very good with tools, and my cats tend to like more.... interesting resting places ( 5 gallon buckets, stacking bins, the dog food tub, pretty much anything plastic) and was wondering if any of you fanatics have built there own and if the can lend any interesting ideas.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've thought about using a section of tree branch/trunk to make a kitty condo. I've seen some really cool looking gnarled pieces of maple at the city compost site. You could attach the bottom to a piece of wood as a base and maybe even have part of it lean against the wall if it was the right shape, or even attach it to the wall for stability..and put platforms at different levels on the branches......Then mount shelves on the wall off to the side that your cat could jump to.....I only got as far as doing the shelves on the wall...I covered them in carpet......then put a store bought cat tree in the same room near enough that my cat cant jump up there....He sleeps on the highest shelf all the time...

Steve

·
Registered
9 Posts
Look at Ikea Hacks to get some ideas.

There's a pretty awesome outdoor cat run, down to something as simple as a sling under a table or cutting out parts of bookcase shelves and gluing down carpet in order to make a simple kitty condo.

Right now I'm planning on enlisting my dad's help to make some homemade CatWALLks. It should just require some lumber, carpet, glue, a staple gun, a drill, a stud finder, screws, and some brackets.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking of using my open ceiling struts, make a hanging kitty condo. It wouldn't be all that hard, and I think they would have a riot.

·
Premium Member
7,860 Posts
How about PVC pipes (the really big ones?), or those huge tubes builders use to pour concrete in for footings and pilings? You can paint them with epoxy spray paint.

I like this idea for ramps, too: garden paths suspended from the ceiling.

·
Registered
719 Posts
By all means, make your own :) the only limits are pretty much your imagination and the materials available to you. I second the vote for ikeahacks - it has some neat ideas. I have more Ikea products in my home for my cats than I do for myself :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts