Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been playing with an idea and I'm not sure if it's a good one. When we had that bad snowstorm one of our Bradford Pear trees split. Since Bradford Pears are not that strong, it just couldn't hold up to the weight of the snow. Anyway, we have several nice size branches. I was wondering if these might be able to be used as natural scratchers for the cats. I've got some pieces that are large enough to make a nice sized cat tree, but I didn't know if any of you had experience with this or what you thought of the idea. Right now the wood is still wet, so it will have to dry out if we do use it, but I wanted your opinions. I don't want anything that could harm the kitties.

Here is a picture of a few branches we have... (these are not light-weight pieces)

What do you think? Get rid of the wood or put it to use?

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I would spray it down with vinegar, pretty good. Then let it sit in a basement or garage for a few days. Then rinse them good, and use it! Fruit woods are great for pets, and they seem to like the smell better, not to mention it shouldn't be toxic.

·
Registered
550 Posts
That's a great idea! Great that you are using something that would have been waste otherwise! And I am sure the kitties will love it! Our end tables are made from branches with the bark left on them and they are the preferred scratching posts for my cats!!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your input. It will definitely have to dry out before we use it, but I think we'll see what kind of cat tree we can put together when it does. :) I always keep apple cider vinegar, white vinegar, and even GSE on hand, so I'll make sure that it's treated organically so there are no bugs or anything. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Last year a friend made a scratch post for me from a couple of logs of dried firewood doweled together for the garage kitties, Mikayla and Elijah. They love it and use it all the time but it does make a mess. It's just over 2 ft but the next will definitely be taller as they can't stretch out full length. Using branches in a cat tree is such a great idea. I'm enjoying seeing your projects.

The well worn post, note mess below.

Elijah is just too long for this one but he enjoys it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Wow! Elijah looks SOOO much like my cat Zaya from the back. I love that pattern =)

The branches sound like a great idea to me. I've been thinking about doing something like that for Zaya too because the commercial stuff is so expensive if it's any good. So why not do it yourself AND have it all natural? I think especially for indoor only kitties, it gives them a chance to experience outside things that they're missing out on.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wEngelw said:
The branches sound like a great idea to me. I've been thinking about doing something like that for Zaya too because the commercial stuff is so expensive if it's any good. So why not do it yourself AND have it all natural? I think especially for indoor only kitties, it gives them a chance to experience outside things that they're missing out on.
Thank you! That's what I was thinking. I just didn't want to use something that was too fragile for rambunctious kitties. LOL I try to give them a huge variety of things to climb on, sleep on, play on or in, things to bat around, windows to look out, etc. They're just a little bit spoiled. :oops: :lol:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
gunterkat said:
They' not spoiled, you're enriching their lives. :wink:
:eek:rcat
Thank you. I do the best I can for them. We don't live in a huge house or have lots of money, but anything I can do to make them happier is all that matters. They're my babies. I talked to a lady the other day and her cat wouldn't have anything to do with a couple of things she'd bought for him, so she asked me if I wanted them. Well, I'm always open to new things for them, so I naturally said, "Sure". Here is what she gave me....

First, a pirate ship that the kittens love!

And then, one other piece...

I think Siana approves of both. :D Even Queen Teya likes the pirate ship..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts