Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Due to costs concerning a storebought scratchpost, my dad and I have decided to build some sort of scratchpost as a summer project..

We have a small one now that is ok, but I'm thinking bigger and better. Does anyone have any really good links to DIY projects like these? Better yet, has anyone done this before and knows the dos and donts?

Not sure where this should have been posted so if the mods want to move it, feel free. :)

Thanks

bp

·
Registered
122 Posts
hi blue phoenix, i am a fellow diy'er and i built my own scratching post with the help of my dad and brother. we built it in advance before we get out cat, we are still waiting on one.

how i designed my was pretty simple, i mainly looked at the designs on the petsmart and petco websites, and put something together, basically, mine is a vertical scratching post with a base, and a base on top for it to rest on.

sort of like this:

| |
___| |____

as for dimensions i used:

16 x 16 for the two bases
the post is a 4x4x32 wrapped in sisal rope
the two bases are wrapped in carpet.
to attach the top base, i used L angle clamps and bolted one on each side
to attach the bottom base, i put in 2 bolts through the bottom

do's:
-use sisal for the posts as cats really like scratching this and digging their claws into it, it also looks pretty cool too
-buy a quality carpet and make sure it'll be easy to clean
-make sure posts are stable and the platforms are level, cats do not like un-steady surfaces
-place it near the cat's usual sleeping area as they like to scratch after they wake up (stretching)

don't:
-use carpet glue instead of a staple gun as you do not want the cat digging it's claws into a staple and injuring itself

that's all i can think of off the top of my head, so feel free to ask me any questions about it. sorry i don't have any pictures..

G

·
0 Posts
I used to have a scratch post for my cat but then the cat kept scratching it and it got ruined :( . Because it kept scratching the post. Does anyone know why it keeps doin that?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Incredible_Katlova said:
I used to have a scratch post for my cat but then the cat kept scratching it and it got ruined :( . Because it kept scratching the post. Does anyone know why it keeps doin that?
Cats naturally scratch like that. They enjoy it and it sharpens their claws. The posts, some more than others, have to be replaced every now and then.

I've never bought my cats a scratching post, but I plan to. Guess that's why my furniture looks the way it does. :roll: LoL

·
Registered
55 Posts
My wife and I made a scratching post this winter. It wasn’t as hard as I thought that it would be. However, I did decide to go with a thick fabric instead of carpet. Fabric, I thought, would be a lot more pliable, and cheaper than carpet. And judging on how much my cats like to scratch the couch, I thought that they might prefer it.

Anyway, we had a small, round wooden table top that we used as the base, and a four foot post. After wrapping both in fabric, I wound sisal rope around the post, and combined them together. It took some catnip spray to get the cats to like the post more than the couch, but they are happy with it now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts