Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 cats one is 7 1/2 months and the other is 3 years old. My kitten had a rough start with the corona virus but seems to finally be doing well. He was on the prescription I/D food and it got to where it was making him so gassy he could clear a room with his gas. I could also see his stomach rumbling and he had belching. He was having up to 6 soft stools a day. I feed the cats in separate rooms and on occasion he got into our other cats EVO. After he ate that he had a lot less gas and belching. He had a lot less stools and the amount of them was a lot less. For a while they both ate EVO dried and canned. All of a sudden they don't like it. It will make it a lot easier if they both eat the same food. I am thinking about changing them over to Wellness CORE which is for both cats and kittens. I bought a couple cans of CORE and they both seem to love it. I haven't tried the dry food. Do any of you feed Wellness CORE? If you have what has been your experience? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I like CORE as well as regular Wellness.

However, rather than switching your cats over to only one brand, I'd recommend rotating their canned food. I give my cats several flavors of several brands of canned food (including both EVO and Core). I just give something new each time I open a new can (so usually a different food each day).

Some cats get bored eating the same thing too many times in a row (thus your cats suddenly refusing to eat a food they've eaten for a long time) so rotating the food can help avoid sudden refusals to eat (not to mention it can decrease the chances of them developing a food allergy/sensitivity, and keep you with other options in case of a recall).

·
Registered
117 Posts
I give Niles Wellness CORE dry the morning. He sometimes gets CORE wet food at night--I rotate, though lately I've been using a lot of Trader Joe's canned because it's so cheap.

I noticed a change in his coat after I switched from regular Wellness dry to CORE dry. It's so much shinier. I wasn't expecting any physical changes to come from changing food so it really surprised me!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have tried a lot of the better canned foods (Solid Gold, California Natural, Natural Balance, EVO, Innova) and the older cat doesn't like them. He has always loved Fancy Feast but I am trying to get both of them on a better food. The older one will eat just about all the canned flavors of Wellness regular and CORE but loves the CORE the best.

My youngest cat has had digestive problems ever since he got the corona virus from the cattery. It has taken months to get him well. I have been trying to get both cats on the same diet so if he happens to get into the other cats food it won't upset his GI tract. He likes the Wellness wet food. Currently they are eating Taste of The Wild dry food and they both like it. I don't know if the Wellness Core is a better dry food to switch to or if I should just leave them on the TOTW dry.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts