Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find that my male cat is not able to stay home for more than 2 days without going out or going crazy, whereas the girls are perfectly fine staying home all the time. I never attributed this difference to gender-related behavior, but I know that males tend to roam while females tend to stay together in the territory, and I've observed this in the neutered strays, so I was wondering...

·
Registered
123 Posts
One of my cat Cuddles was spayed at a young age and never had kitten. Yet now and then when I scratch her belly, she raises her hind leg as if to make it easier for kitten to nurse.

I think it varies with cats, some don't show anything, and some still retain sex specific instincts.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
My having adopted Missy when she had become a senior, I don't know if she'd ever had kittens, but while she usually ignores cat meows in videos, she responded to a kitten's cries and wanted to get into the rear of the monitor.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It depends on how early they are neutered. Just like in humans, hormones play a huge part in physiological and mental development. If they're neutered early they are more likely to predominantly display gender-neutral behaviors. If they're neutered late (like neutering a female after she's had her first litter), they can retain a great deal of their gender-specific behaviors.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I got my cat already spayed, but when I brought her to the vet, he said she had already had a litter, so she was spayed fairly soon after having the litter. She has this habit of regurgitating her food, and the vet says there is nothing physically wrong with her. I read on the internet that a cat will sometimes regurgitate food if she thinks she has kittens to feed and I think that's what Nutmeg is doing. So despite the spaying, after 6 years she has still kept her motherly instincts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts