Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If so, how do you know when a cat is crying? How is it different from the other sounds?

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
When Nito "cries" it is usually when I haven't been around for a while. He makes this deep guttural and mournful "Mrrrooooow" sound. I don't know if you would call it crying, or just calling for his mama. Other than that, I don't think cat's actually 'cry' like we humans see it. They do get depressed though.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Sometimes they do. Evie doesn't anymore, but she did when she was an only-cat as she was lonely. Mitzi does a low, long 'mrowww' when she's in the conservatory. I think she does it because she wants her own way!

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I don't think cats cry the same way you or I do when we're really unhappy...they seem to deal with that in silence for the most part. However, they do "cry" in pain.

I was in the kitchen one day, about a year ago, and I heard crying...more like continual screeching...coming from the family room. It sounded like a 3-year old child had fallen off her bike and scraped her knee, except I don't have a 3-year old child. When I went in to see what it was, Muffs was lying at the bottom of her cat tree, and she had a mouse on an elastic string tied around her leg. The more she tried to free it, the tighter the elastic wound against her leg. She was truly screeching in pain. I grabbed the scissor and cut it off her, whereupon she was silent again. Poor little thing...although she was fine a few minutes later.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I can identify at least three different cries by my Fab Four. The first is the most universal, and each made it when I first brought them home and placed them in a safe room. They cried incessantly because they were lonely and wanted company and/or to be let out. It was not meowing, it was cat crying. The second is the kind of crying in pain that Susan referred to. When I have accidentally stepped on one of them, there was a distinct cry of pain.

The third I have only heard Hersh make. When he is on the counter, if I ask/tell him to get down and he doesn't want to, he utters a very distinctive cry/moan/yowl of complaint. He only does it in those specific circumstances. And if I dare to pick him up to set him down, he makes it about four times as loud, as if I am strangling him. I don't know exactly how to describe it, except if you had a teenager dead set against doing what you asked and he forcefully, plaintively but clearly said "Noooooooooooo.....oh, ok, sigh!"

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Yesterday one of my feral cats was in pain, and was growling with just about every breath. For a little while, I thought maybe he was having trouble breathing, but it was just because he was in so much pain from his foot having an open wound and severely infected. He just hid in the bushes and 'grumbled' about it. It went higher pitched and louder if any other cat got near him.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I've heard my cats yelp in pain if I accidentally step back on one of them. I hate that noise. :(

Samantha cries for me if she can't find me or if I leave the house. It's a loud long "MROOOOOW." over and over.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I think cats cry out for various reasons.

When Cloud got neutered and stayed at the vet overnight Mirage spent the whole crying in confusion over where he was. It was heartbreaking. She searched all his normal spots and just kept searching and searching.

I've seen mother cats cry out for their litters when they've been separated, as well as kittens cry for their mama's in fear when they can't find them.

I've seen cats of all ages cry as they near death...

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
if I ask/tell him to get down and he doesn't want to, he utters a very distinctive cry/moan/yowl of complaint. He only does it in those specific circumstances. And if I dare to pick him up to set him down, he makes it about four times as loud, as if I am strangling him. I don't know exactly how to describe it, except if you had a teenager dead set against doing what you asked and he forcefully, plaintively but clearly said "Noooooooooooo.....oh, ok, sigh!"
I think I know what you're talking about. Nito gives me the same type of sass when I catch him doing something naughty and tell him to stop. He sort of freezes and gives that bizarre meow before slowly going back to what he was doing before. Naughty little bugger, I almost always have to get up and stop him. :-D

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Samantha cries for me if she can't find me or if I leave the house. It's a loud long "MROOOOOW." over and over.

I swear Samantha and MowMow are long lost sister/brother.

MowMow tries to trick me though. He has a particular howl of pain (I've heard it when he's suffering UTIs) and he KNOWS it brings me running. Now if I ignore all his other 'cries' he lets that one out and when I get to him he's all "let's play!!"

·
Registered
8 Posts
The worst crying sound Miss Kitty ever made was right after we adopted her (she had been abandoned and had not yet been spayed). She was about 9 months old, and we were planning on taking her to the vet the following week, but after having her for only 2 days, there was a sudden population of what I'm guessing were male cats and they were all very interested in our Miss Kitty. We had to lock her in the spare bedroom that night, and take her to the vet the very next day to be spayed. Her crying sounded exactly like a small child crying - not in pain but in sadness. I feared the neighbors were going to call the police, even though we don't have any children. Not surprisingly, after we got back from the vet, the male population of cats dwindled significantly.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cats make so many different sounds (whining like) that it's hard to differentiate if there is one that means crying...

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Personally, I think they are like babies......you learn the different cries and what they mean. You learn which ones can be ignored and which can't.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts