Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there

I don't know if this is a health problem or normal thing
But I noticed that my cat is making sound while he sleep (little long and low meow) . He did that some times not always, but I'm affraid that there is a health problem here.

Another thing, I noticed while he awake, he is so active and always meowing like he wants something, but I couldn't relize what it is. I try to feed him but he eat a little then come to meow loudly to me, when I ignore that he go the the first floor and meow too loud to make us hear him.
I don't know what he actually want, in addition to that he meows while sleeping a little long and low meow. Is that a nightmare or health problem ?

Regards

·
Registered
30 Posts
it may be that you just have a 'chatty cat'. :)
some cats like to talk more than others. He may just be conversing with you, asking for some attention, a cuddle, a pet, or some interactive playtime.
meowing is not just asking for food alone.
Maybe he saw a mouse, or wants to 'show' you something, maybe he wants to go outside ( if you have an indoor/outdoor kitty ).

I would say the meowing in his sleep is just a dream or nightmare, much like we grumble or sleep talk when were are sleeping.
They twitch, growl, meow, purr and I've even seen my cats tail bristle up like he had seen a dog in his dream !!
I dont think there is a health problem, but I think you may need to try and understand your cat's language a little better. They have different meows for different things. If you observe the cat alot, you can pick up the language pretty quickly. :D

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I think they dream. And yes, some cats are louder. My Dunga is pretty loud! She meows and then I call her and she comes to me. I think she wants my attention. It's funny what kind of "noises" she is able to make. Yoda is different. She is very quiet cat and she usually meows only when I"m preparing food for them. She might change in time because I noticed Dunga is the leader and Yoda is always repeating after her. So who knows, one day she might become louder.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I think all animals dream to some degree. Usually you can tell by twitching, or eyes moving under closed lids.

When I was younger we raised an injured duck (my parents had other ducks at the time), and it had imprinted on us. Sometime we would lay on the lawn and he would sleep next to us, and you could tell he was dreaming too. :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
I don't think they dream, I know they do!!(not really, but I'll explain) Penny & Sammie BOTH twich, meow, "run", breathe heavy, & even wake themsevles up kinda jumping!! I really think they dream, why else would they do all of that? It's just soooooooo funny to watch them dreaming!! I once woke up Pen-Pen from a dream, & she jumped about 4 feet up in the air!! :lol: LOL!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I think cats dream for sure! They may not be very complex dreams like we have (but maybe they are!) but they do dream.
I so think that you just have a 'chatty cat'. My cat is VERY chatty. I alwats thought something was worng with her when she would meow, but now I know that's just her way of talking. :p

·
Registered
697 Posts
I agree on the dreaming. My cat will mutter his way through sleep sometines, sleep jogging as he goes. I'm sure he's even had the occasional nightmare. He'll wake up with the most pathetic whine and come for cuddles. He's a very chatty cat when he's awake. Sometines we just sit and meow back and forth to each other. I haven't a clue what I'm saying but he doesn't seem to mind. :D I think he just appreciates the effort of kitty talk.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I think they do dream.
Sometimes Winnie will meow in her sleep and whem Milo was younger he would growl in his sleep!!! :lol:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I agree with everyone else. I remember reading in one of my cat books that cats do indeed dream, and twich and 'run', etc, in their dreams.

And yes, some cats are more vocal than others. I have the perfect example with my two cats. Carmel isn't vocal or 'chatty' at all. He'll only meow for food, and that's about it. But Sundae, on the other hand, will meow at you for anything..if she wants food, if she wants to be petted, if she wants attention. I love my kitties. :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
Dreams and meowing

I believe that cats do dream because of the way the brain functions.
If your cat is not neutered then this could be why he's meowing so much. Who knows maybe he's calling out for a female cat. Or maybe he doesn't like the food your giving him. I just thought I'd throw out a few new ideas besides the one's addressed.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I do think kitties dream, too. Both of mine twitch and "run" in their sleep like others mentioned.

Stix will meow VERY loudly and almost sad-sounding if he realizes my boyfriend is gone, or not in the room. I just meow back at him, or act like I am talking to him ("Whats wrong, Stix?" "Dont be sad", etc.) and he quiets down after a while.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts