Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might be a silly question, but do cats feel the cold. My cousin has a collection of little wooly jumpers for the winter time. I thought that was a little overboard, but she insists her cat is always cold.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Tina doesn't get under blankets when it's warm but she does in the winter. She won't wear clothes. Our chihuahuas on the other hand love their sweaters and the attention they get from them.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Of course they feel the cold, they're warm blooded animals. Short haired cats would be more likely to, and I certainly notice cats are more often under covers in the winter. Blacky spends the winters on my bed, as soon as spring hits she's back outdoors most of the time.

As far as getting a sweater for the cat, that does seem overkill unless you have a Sphynx, Devon or Cornish Rex. Most cats detest clothing.

·
Registered
70 Posts
They definitely do. Cats are notorious for sleeping next to warm fires, heaters, udner blankets, cuddled up together, curled up to retain body heat etc.

I remember reading somewhere online that during their sleep their body temperatures actually drop so they need extra warmth, and seeing how most cats sleep at 16 hours daily, it isn't difficult to see why they seek out warm places.

As for knitted cat-clothes I couldn't say. I always have an electric heater on for my babies :-D

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm pretty sure mines does -- I always catch curled up to the crock pot when I use it. I have never heard a cat doing that before but she is pretty unique.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Oh they feel cold. Example, in the summer when I pull the sheets, towels and blankets out of the dryer, Orry just watches me fold and put them away. But on cold winter days & nights as soon as I fold the first blanket and put it in the basket, in goes Orry ready for a warm nap. He especially loves when I place his fluffy blanket on our bed straight out of the dryer and "wrap" him in it. :)

·
Registered
518 Posts
I always bang on my truck in the winter before starting it up because I’ve seen cats running out of my engine compartment where they were trying to keep warm. I have one cat that was discovered by my neighbor in his engine when it was a kitten. It was a good thing he had checked his oil that day before leaving because the kitten would have been killed in the fan.

·
Registered
57 Posts
For sure they do. Granted that question has all ready been answered ;) . My guys hardly sleep with me during the summer. It's just starting to get chilly, cesar sleeps between us and Zoey has been cuddling on my side :D ...Spot he's a big furry boy, he's gotta be really chilly to stay long during the night.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
The winters here are very mild, but my cats all adore being wrapped up in their fleece blankets (pink for the girls and sky blue for Prince, see my avatar, hehe). They feel protected and warm. On the coldest days in January they love to sleep inside the caves I make them with the duvets. I put 2 duvets on my bed, fluff them up so they'll be bulky and light, and Prince sleeps at his best because this is a very hot country and he's a Norwegian Forest mix so he's too hot most of the year. I can't wait for winter, here it's too hot until November.

·
Registered
175 Posts
And, yes, I am hoarding 100 watt incandescent light bulbs because Oscar likes to curl up under his favorite lamp. I got a very strange look from him when I tried to put a CFL bulb in there. He also has his very own fleece blanket.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Although Missy has been with me over two years, this past week was the first time she got under the covers, but then in previous years I've had the heat higher.. The weather turned cold at night. Last night was a problem because she started to claw, but I got up and put the heat higher and we worked things out. She's sort of exploring what's allowed and what isn't. What isn't is settling down where I lie while I'm fixing the heat. She's a big lump and hard to move.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
In the wintertime, Muffs has a nasty habit of sleeping right on top of the floor register in my bedroom, thus "stealing" all of the heat that would otherwise come into the room. When I awake in the morning, I'm freezing! So, does Muffs feel the cold? Nope. She's nice and warm. I'm the one who feels the cold! :wink:

·
Registered
505 Posts
Past couple of nights have been about 30 degrees. Midnight, the wild cat, always leaves and travels the woods at night, even in deep snow and below zero temps. He still hasn't started to use his insulated and heated house in the garage, but prefers his round bed.

When he is laying out in the sun on a cold day, I bring him a bed and he does this: :D

BTW, that's him in the avatar, sunning himself on the recycle bin when is was 6 degrees below zero!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I think they feel cold, but they don't need sweaters like we do. We had a farm house where cats can go outside and would come home as they pleased, so our cat stayed out in the winter and snow and came home to eat and sleep and went back to roam the farm. He had regular fur, not long not short, so he chose to spend all day in the snow rather than nap inside.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Awww those photos are beautiful! Thank you for posting!

·
Registered
89 Posts
My kitten really does feel the cold! He'll join us in the bed, on our pillows and let us put the blanket over him. When he sleeps in his own basket, we put a blanket over him and he loves it.
Today has been freezing cold, so he's slept all day, obviously to conserve energy in the weather, and slept under his blanket all day!

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
On the contrary, does kitty feel warm? given they have such thick coat. (sorry if I am hijacking, pls delete my post if I am). Weather in singapore is really damp and hot. ET's room is pretty warm, whenever I stayed in there with him, I perspire, I have been wondering if it is good for ET actually. The window is half open all the time to allow air in, but it is meshed up, so not much wind or rain will come in. I am feeling the heat, but looking at ET everyday, I thought he seemed ok with it, I can't really tell.

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
They definitely feel hot and cold. My stray really wants to come inside when it's ridiculously hot and humid out or when it's really cold (or raining, for that matter). And of course indoor-only cats are going to be more sensitive to variations in weather. Margaux will sit on the deck all day when it's nice out. Right now it's around 50 - much colder than it has been - she pestered me to go out on the deck, did a quick tour and came back in immediately.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.