Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my cats seems to turn her head from side to side when watching something about a foot away from her nose---like she's looking out of each eye separately. She is 8mos old.

And If I hold a treat in the palm of my hand in front of their faces, both my cats will start licking at the tips of my finger where I pulled the treat from the jar, and then eventually find it, but they are clearly using their noses, not their eyes.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Since they have a longer muzzle than us, they have a significantly larger blindspot than us, right in front of their faces. Because of their muzzles, they can't see treats on the ground (or in your fingers unless you hold them up high above their noses) and must sniff around and even feel with their whiskers to locate the treat.

If the thing your kitty moves her head around to look at is 1 ft. directly in front of her face, then her muzzle in probably in the way again, and she's just getting a better look at it!

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
We've noticed the same with Gracie, unless the thing is moving (like a spider or something). I think they transition to whiskers and smell when the distance is much closer than about 8 inches...

Fran

1 - 4 of 4 Posts