Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feed the feral/abadoned cats in my neighborhood. On weekdays, I only feed them in the evening, On Saturdays and Sundays, I also feed them in the morning, so they will congregate and wait for me from around 8 o'clock. On weekdays they won't show.

Is maybe one of the cats is smart enough to count the days, or can they tell from other people's behavior?

·
Registered
379 Posts
I work 2nd shift. My wife tells me our Duchess comes out from her evening nap at 10:30 to 10:40 and waits in the living room until she hears my truck pull on the street and then she hops up in the bay window to greet me. She does this every night I work.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
If you keep a regular schedule for quite a while, the cats will learn it... not by "counting", but just by their biological clock. It's sort of instinct to know what's coming... sort of like when their bodies know to start growing a winter coat, or shedding it to not get too hot when the warmer weather starts up. They just sort of "know" these things. Hard to explain, I guess.

This is just my thoughts and opinion, not fact.
But my ferals do know when I come, too. The other day I was late, and when I came into the view of the feeding station, one of the more shy cats was sitting there and waiting for the food! (of course she ran off when I got within 50 feet LOL)
Also, when I used to take my foster kitty to adoptions, she always knew it was Saturday, no matter how much I tried to hide the fact. I kept the carrier in sight at all times, so she wouldn't know by me taking it out on just that day. Every morning, when I started getting ready in my normal routine (I have no job or school, so it doesn't change just for weekends), she'd hide under the bed or behind the fridge.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yeah, definitely. Not in the sense that today is Friday, yesterday was Thursday, but cats pick up on routines. In fact, they thrive on them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts