Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think they do. My two guys are not only dear friends, they are spiritual guideposts for our family. Maybe the appropriate question is do all people have souls? :?:

·
Registered
78 Posts
I know what the bible says about animals-- but--- I know that my cat is not an animal to me!!! So, I don't know! I hope so. I would like to think she wil be there when I get there.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
spacemonkey said:
The Bible says that there will be animals in Heaven - that's good enough for me! :wink:
Really?

I'm not one for religion, just never took to it. However, we have a highly judgemental receptionist who is all high and mighty about how religous he is... anyway, we were ordering new sympathy cards for pet losses, and one had a cute dog and cat with a halo sitting on a cloud, super sweet card. He refused to order them because "they'd send the wrong message" that we think the pets are going to heaven, when everyone knows they dont.

I mean, seriously - how much of a jerk can you be??

I do think they have souls. Can you really look into your pet's eyes and NOT think so? :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Interesting question.

I've seen insects with personality, do they have souls? What about nematodes? Bacteria? Viruses? Prions?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think cats do possess souls. Personality and the possession of a soul are not one and the same, IMO. I suppose a lively discussion of nemotodes can be found on the Nemotode Forum, but I'm not particularly interested in them since they are not my friends or my pets. :)

·
Banned
1,177 Posts
I feel that all animals have souls. And these can be the geese that I photographed today, a bird, my shubunkins as well as the snails in the fishtank, etc.

·
Banned
1,177 Posts
A little tidbit about what NewRagdoll mentioned about cats being able to sense if its owner was not feeling well, etc. While I was out hiking at this park where a lot of Canada Geese are present, one looked at me and walked towards me. I just stopped and looked at him. He still walked towards me until I said "Sorry buddy, but I do not have any food for ya." Then the goose walked away.

So yes, I feel ALL animals have souls.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The ability to care for their young and perhaps others are mainly a mammalian trait. The difference between mammals and their next evolutionary partner is relatively genetics. In the future, we can determine what genes makes a mammal a mammal, more specific, what genes make mammals care for each other. We will eventually find out what genes make up consciousness. We have already found the minimum amount of genes for life and certain proteins lacking in the mind between humans and orangutangs. We might strut around as the superior species, but there really is only a minor genetic difference between apes and us.

The point is that it comes down to genes. So basically people are saying if you have certain genes, you have a soul, but if don't these genes, then you don't, hmmm. That sounds weird.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Guess it depends on what you call a soul and whether you think people have souls too. I prefer to think of an afterlife with beautiful animals around me.

We'll all have to wait a while to find out!

·
Registered
521 Posts
of COURSE they have souls!!! and i think every animal does, i mean some people dont regard rats like they do cats, but i do. we have them for pets, also and i love them justa s much. so i think all animals have souls and all animals go to heaven.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
There are at least ten different definitions for the word soul. None of them has anything to do with DNA or genetics. It's the spiritual part of a human being. Human beings appear to be the only living animal with an innate need to worship. I think this is the biggest difference between man and Tim's spider. (although Dr. Albert Scweitzer would have valued that spider's life as much as the life of a cat)

God is a spirit, and we too (most of us) are spiritual beings. That is; our bodies are mere vehicles for the soul, which is the real self. That's how most Christians explain the verse that says that we are made in the image of God. However, I don't think we need to go in depth regarding religious or scientific principles. God loves us, and He obviously knew that we would learn to love certain animals. Whether or not animals have a spiritual essence, God is a loving God. That's why I believe I will see my animals again.

I don't think we have to over-analyze this. Many of our members do not believe in God, but love their animals and expect to be reunited with them. Personally, I think that because of God's mercy and love for His children and His little creatures that we will meet again. They can't sin, and their love is much more pure than our own.[

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
OsnobunnieO said:
spacemonkey said:
The Bible says that there will be animals in Heaven - that's good enough for me! :wink:
Really?
Yup :)

The most direct references come from the book of Revelations, which talks of Heaven and a New Earth, which will be akin to Eden (Genesis). There are several verses that talk of animals in this New Earth, coexisting with man and each other. There are some other references in the Bible that are a little more vague, but definately hint at the idea of animals being in Heaven.

check out these links for more:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts