Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title says it all... do cats poop less on raw diet? I feel like ET is only pooping once every 1 1/2 days, and not a very large amount. I have been careful to limit bone-in meals, so I don't feel like its constipation. He had a negative fecal 1 mo ago.

He is eating about 60% raw (pork, chicken, liver) and 40% EVO 95%. I add a little extra water to the wet food, which he laps up willingly. There is also plenty of essentially-odorless urine in the box.

-BP

·
Banned
2,746 Posts
Yup, they sure do! They're able to USE a huge % of the food they're eating, so not much goes to waste. My cats poop, on average, once a day. Poops are smaller, firmer, and have no smell.

One of the many awesome side effects of going raw. ;)

·
Registered
342 Posts
This leads me to an interesting observation.

My bf is currently feeding my cat Friskies while he is in his care (obviously I do not improve, but transitioning to raw as soon as I get him back!). He is constantly complaining on how smelly the cat's poop is, but I kept his litterbox 2 metres away from my bed for 3 weeks and it was NEVER a problem when I was feeding him Merrick's and Drassel! I keep telling him it's the food but he thinks it's the cat.

Based on my personal anecdotal evidence with quality of food, I have no doubt raw food makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Willie poops maybe every other day on raw and I can't smell them. This is a cat whose poop aroma engulfed the entire house when he was on kibble or even half kibble half raw. What goes in...is used.

·
Banned
2,746 Posts
~Siameseifuplz~ said:
Willie poops maybe every other day on raw and I can't smell them. This is a cat whose poop aroma engulfed the entire house when he was on kibble or even half kibble half raw. What goes in...is used.
Yup--that was Calvin, who had IBD. Lincoln's weren't pleasant but Calvin's cleared the room!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Absolutely yes, and less stinky too. :D

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah, thank you for your replies and reassurance. I am very relieved... and pleased!! Yet another fabulous benefit to feeding raw :)

-BP

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thank you very much, guys.

That is a very good information. I never knew that RAW FOOD would make the poop smell less.
I had this silly impression that RAW FOOD makes the cat wild and fierce. :oops:
But I guess that's just a silly thought :mrgreen:
Correct me if I'm wrong :oops:

·
Banned
2,746 Posts
Keisha53 said:
I had this silly impression that RAW FOOD makes the cat wild and fierce. :oops:
But I guess that's just a silly thought :mrgreen:
Correct me if I'm wrong :oops:
No, of course it doesn't. It's what they were meant to eat!

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
RAW FOOD makes the cat wild and fierce
:) Well. it will make a cat wild (...with extra energy and good health) and fierce (...towards fun stuff like toys and bird-hunting, even if it is through a window...).

Our girl is on half-raw and half-good canned, and she is so happy and healthy.

Fran

·
Banned
2,746 Posts
It's a funny myth. My dad (who has a PhD for crying out loud!) was convinced that going raw would make the dogs bloodthirsty and that my cats would be in danger.

Yeah, clearly. :lol:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks hoofmaiden & Fran. LOL! Silly of me to believe. :oops:
Well, it was my dad who said that when I was a kid.
He said that tigers are wild because they eat raw meat. And I was like, "Oooohhhhhh"

Or maybe he just said that so he didn't have to buy meat for my cats :lol: budget-wise LOL!

Thank you so much.
This has been really helpful.
I'll try to give Shaggy some raw meat. I hope he likes it. He's never had any.

Thanks again! :luv

·
Registered
829 Posts
I have noticed that both Scooter Bug and Macy poop less and it doesn't smell as bad.

I would LOVE to get all my cats on the RAW diet!! :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
Agreed ...My cats poop is pretty much odourless. Their urine too. It is to the point where I really have to remember to change litter as it is a case of ...out of nose, out of mind. :wink

·
Banned
952 Posts
Five raw-fed cats, one apartment, one 120 quart litter box in the front hallway off the kitchen and another in the entrance way off the living room - ZERO smell. And I don't scoop every day, either.

I once had a pizza delivery guy standing less than five feet away from the box off the living room and, when asked if he could smell the box, said, "Not at all, why do you have a cat?" At the time, I had EIGHT cats! (Gotta love raw-feeding! :lol: )

1 - 16 of 16 Posts