Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More of a poll than anything, but I'm curious whether you feel like your cat knows his/her name.

I've had my kitty for 6 months now and every once in a while I feel like he kind of perks up and recognizes that I've said his name, but other times he doesn't and continues on with whatever he happens to be doing or staring at :). He's also my first cat, and having grown up with a dog that definitely knew her name, I don't really know what the "norm" is for cats.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Penny definitely does. She responds every time. And it's not just intonation. I've tried saying "Jelly" or "Bonnie" in the same voice and she won't turn her head for those.

Nala doesn't know hers or, I believe, chooses not to. She deigns me worthy of her attention on her time, not when I'm calling out some word that may or may not be good enough to be her name.

·
Premium Member
2,856 Posts
I'm not sure... but Coco seems to know Jasper's name. I'm usually yelling at him and she wants to get on the action of stopping whatever he's doing. :lol: She is such a police dog.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Yes, my 2 cats respond when their name is called........but......

They have selective hearing! They pick and choose when they want to come when their name is called :lol:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Ours do. Athena and Zeus will come running if you call their names. Hera lifts her head, looks at you, and promptly goes back to sleep.

·
Registered
354 Posts
mine do and sometimes their ears give them away when they want to ignore us.....the selective hearing that dogs don't have.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yup. Midas definitely comes when I call. It has proven very useful when I can't find him in the house and I worry that he got out. However, if I am in the same room as him, he only bothers to walk over to me about half of the time. So I guess he comes when I sound worried? Haha.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Watson always came when we called. Lily knows her name and will some if she's not doing anything more important. Oscar is still a little young but has started to recognise that "kitty kitty" means food!

·
Registered
578 Posts
I read somewhere that cats recognize the first syllable in their name. That's why it's better to give your cats a name with a hard sound first like Buddy ( hard B sound) because it's easier for them to recognize.

Yes all three of my cats recognize their names. I have two boys, Bowie and Buddha, and sometimes when I start out saying their name both look over (hard B sound). Izzie recognizes the Zz sound.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I don't think our 2 cats recognize their names...either that or they choose to ignore us. :( They are one year old and we've had them since about 11 weeks.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
All three know their names and recognize them.

B.B. Recognizes her name and every nickname i.e., Beebz, Beeberz, & Beebaleena. Call her by any of the four names and she will come. She even has her own special "whistle" that she knows means her and because it only gets used in emergencies, she will come to it, no matter what. Even if she is still angry, she comes.

Belle had a slight name change in the beginning because her name was "Spats" (for obvious reasons) she must have hated it in your very young little life because she would never respond to it. After 2 months of trying I decided it was time to change and "Belle" seemed to work for her. No problems responding to it, and to this day, even if you whisper it, she knows. (She also has taken to responding to B.B.'s whistle because she and Beebz have grown thick as thieves)

Sadie Woo knows her name VERY WELL (lol) and the nicknames Saydz, Wooz, & Woo Hoo. No whistles or anything else. She seems to keep to all things verbal.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
We have seven cats of varying ages and they all know their names (which doesn't mean they always respond - look at body language, especially ear movement). We had four youngsters in swift succession a while back and my sister was worried they wouldn't learn their names but they did - even the one who is not the brightest cat ever! In fact, he learnt it really quickly.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Casey will only come to Casey. Not kitty kitty nothing just Casey. I teach all my cats by there names,not kity kitty. If I say kitty kitty my voice gets high and it excited my.dogs,lol. Casey can be upstairs and if I'm at the bottom of.the steps I just say "Casey" and she comes running down the steps!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Our three vary widely - Penny, who we've had the longest (7 yrs), I believe does know her name but is very selective about responding. My husband thinks she doesn't lol.

Mystique, who I mostly call 'Teeka', knows her name flawlessly. She will run to me whenever I say it, unless she's sleeping and then it takes a minute longer but she always responds in some way. In fact, the other day my husband and I were laughing so hard because she is only a 7 lb. cat but when I woke up in the morning and she wasn't in bed, I said out loud, "Where's my Teeka?" and she instantly galloped down the hall and jumped on the bed. She was so loud she sounded like a herd of elephants lol.

Sunny, our newest boy, seems to be clueless about his name. It also could be a cat thing though - he may not care whether we are calling him or not - or maybe it isn't the right name (like Belle lol). We've only had him two months though, where we've had Mystique 4 months.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mine also know their names but it took longer for them to learn than I thought it would. Growing up I only had dogs. My kitties started responding to their names at about 6 months old I think. Response is usually a trill from Rosie and sometimes she comes, and Jack always comes...usually bounding and pouncing.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
I don't think Murphy knows his name; he just gets my tone. We communicate all day long, but it's repetition and tone more than anything. I say, "Want to go downstairs?" and he runs for the stairs.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Yes. All five of mine respond to their names. Baron isn't as quick as the other four, but I think it's because his name doesn't have as distinctive of a sound as the others.

Oscar, the oldest, is extremely responsive to his name.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts