Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got my second cat, I figured the older cat would be the dominate cat and chase the younger one off when I gave her attention. Not so.
The closests I have come to jealousy is one sitting on the corner of the computer desk and the other running up on the chair beside. There appears to be no jealousy at all in this house.

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
Lucky.

I get the look of hate from MowMow when I pet the kitten and if I play/per MowMow the kitten is all over me for attention.

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
How old are they? Social maturity doesn't occur until age 2-4...that's when a cat will challenge hierarchy, if they're so inclined.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I wouldn't say jealousy per se. More like establishing the hierarchy in the territory and also therefore, control/possession of things within the territory like toys, humans. It's more about that as opposed to being jealous.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I don't know if this would be jealousy, but my strays show a very marked tendency to want what the other is getting from me. This is what in the end makes the more feral ones end up behaving like the more socialized ones, coming near me, letting me pet them. I don't know if the copy-cat behaviors are out of jealousy, but one of the strays does chase others who want to be close to me, often. Pity, because cats are so small I have room for several around me. I haven't seen jealousy in my house cats, only mutual fear and territorial fighting, no end.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I believe cats can be jealous. I used to have two male cats Jack and Harley, both of them "lap cat" types, and very good friends with each other - they played, slept, and groomed together, and never fought seriously. However, Harley could be jealous of Jack to the extent that when I was loving Jack, Harley would get pushy and physically get between us - doing whatever he could to force me to pet him. Harley never allowed me to pet Jack unless I also kept a hand going on him. He could be across the room doing his own thing, but as soon as he noticed Jack getting a snuggle, he had to be involved too.

·
Super Moderator
26,355 Posts
With my girls, it's not so much jealousy as it is one of them thinking they're missing out on something.

When I'm petting Cali or Cleo or giving them any kind of attention, I can almost hear Charlee thinking (as she runs over), "Is there food? A new toy? A snack? hurryhurryhurry!!!! Is there food? A new toy? A snack?? hurryhurryhurry!!!"

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
With my girls, it's not so much jealousy as it is one of them thinking they're missing out on something.
That's classic Abby! Whenever she sees me with Muffs, she comes running over, making sure she gets whatever Muffs is getting, whether it be attention, treats, etc. It's like she's saying, "Me too...me too!"

On the other hand, when Muffs sees me with Abby, she typically walks on by. She just doesn't worry about that sort of thing.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How old are they? Social maturity doesn't occur until age 2-4...that's when a cat will challenge hierarchy, if they're so inclined.
Both cats came to me as dumped. Colonel is 5 to 6 years old and Onyx probably 1 1/2 to 2 years old at max.
I hope the are never so inclined to challenge,

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Yes, indeed that "me too!" attitude is what I meant. I thought I had done something wrong with my strays that they exhibit this behavior so very much, but I see now it's quite common in cats... I thought I had by mistake left some cats out when giving treats in the past.

Just like with humans, with cats - the more followers you have, the more you will have, because so many follow the followers, thinking they may be missing out on something if everyone is running.

It used to break my heart when this one stray started coming to greet me at the door before I'd reach the feeding station, and since I had to wait for Prince and she was so hungry, I'd give her a bowl right there. Then more and more strays started doing the same as her, thinking they were missing out on something, and it ended up with the weaker, slower, more timid cats being convinced that they had to run up the building stairs and fight with all the other runners if they wanted dinner because the feeding station had moved and I was now feeding by the door. So now I leave Prince behind and move briskly to reach their feeding station asap. Then I come back for Prince. Also, the neighbors were complaining that I was feeding 6 strays at the very door of the building, and they were right. It was never meant to be like that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts