Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my 2 litter boxes in a small pantry closet off the kitchen. I have one of those plug in ionizers in there but not sure it really does anything? do these even work or are they a gimmick? i clean the boxes every 2 days sometimes every day, but once in awhile i can smell a hint of pee. I have blacklighted everything just to be sure they are not peeing anywhere else but have come up empty thank god.

can anything help a little better??

·
Registered
200 Posts
I've found that good litter practices have helped with my boxes. I have one litter box in my home office which is quite small- I was doing what I call "inexperienced scooping" which included not putting enough litter in the pan and scraping up clumps. The smell was horrible until I googled litter techniques- now I put more litter so that the pee doesn't sit on the bottom of the pain and, if it still does, I tilt the pan up and smack the bottom to get those clumps to release before I try and scoop it.

Trying different litters might help as well- we switched to a multi-cat litter when we still only had one cat and I noticed a big difference. I can't stand scented litter because I think it accentuates the smell, so I'd stay away from that stuff.

I don't know anything about ionizers but hopefully that helps!

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
What will help the best is to scoop the boxes twice a day. In fact, if your boxes are dirty you run the risk that your cats will decide to start going somewhere else, and it will be MUCH more work than cleaning the boxes twice a day. :grin:

·
Registered
200 Posts
What will help the best is to scoop the boxes twice a day. In fact, if your boxes are dirty you run the risk that your cats will decide to start going somewhere else, and it will be MUCH more work than cleaning the boxes twice a day. :grin:
Good point. I try and do mine at least once a day. If you make a habit of it it gets easier (this coming from a girl who grew up thinking you had to clean the litter box biweekly!!). There's less to clean if you do it more often so it's faster. I've done a few things to make it easier on myself like keeping bags and a scoop ready in the room with the boxes (and a garbage nearby) so it doesn't feel like such a task to go do it.

·
Registered
8,978 Posts
If you can smell pee then they need to be cleaned more often. At least once a day. More with multiple cats.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The past 2 weeks have been trial and error with my litter box. As already mentioned by sheiladoreen, adding an adequate amount of litter makes a big difference. Both the smell goes away and I'm pretty sure Sammy enjoys being able to really dig deep. My litter box by Arm and Hammer came with a ~6in brim to prevent litter flying everywhere when Sammy digs aggressively.

And as a side note, when I am scooping up the stuff I make sure not to sift completely so some extra litter will go into the bag. It seriously prevents the bad smell when opening a bag lol/

·
Banned
160 Posts
We clean the litter box twice a day and keep a HEPA filter next to it. After four months the disposable filter element is packed with litter dust, which otherwise would have been deposited on the room surfaces.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.