Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is very odd and I feel a bit uncomfortable with it all. It is not about my cat, it is about a street cat. But it makes me feel sad.

Background story first. A few weeks ago front neighbour told me a street cat had moved with her litter (2 babies) into her backyard. She didn't want them there as their dog and the mommycat were not happy to share. She asked me if I wanted the babies, so I would "steal" them from the mother, that should leave afterwards. I was not sure if Loreta was really pregnant and was hesitating, although they seemed old enough to stop breastfeeding. But she was contacting at the same time a cat shelter group and they came (taking the decision of my hands) and took mother to be neutered and babies. They kept the babies with them for adoption and released the mother back here in the neighbourhood after neutering. They stated on their Facebook that the mom was too feral and would be happier on the streets of her neighbourhood.

I've seen this (ex-)mommy around sometimes, in my backyard, on the street. She always seems sad to me but it may be because I transfer to her my feelings and she is OK. She seems frightened. I offered her some dry food a couple of times, ended up leaving it on the floor and went away as she wouldn't approach me. But what bothers me the most is what happened next...

My wife and I were on the front street watering flowers, catching sun and speaking with a neighbour. That cat was hiding around with two male cats (one of them the father of my Loreta's babies) always following her around. And I heard hauling, just like Loreta did when she was in heat. At a given time the cats were startled by a car passing by and my wife's presence and the (ex-)mommy made a run for our front door (that was open). She almost entered the house but then looked at my wife and run a different way. My wife kept quiet as she felt pity for the cat and would be OK for taking her for a bit so that she could escape the males and maybe eat something.

My 1000$ question is, do males haul like females in heat? Or do females haul even after being neutered? Or could it be that the rescue-group did not neuter her for reals? I feel sorry for her, although there isn't much I can do...

·
Registered
137 Posts
It's unlikely that the rescue group didn't spay the cat. There could be several reasons for her to be meowing, but not because she is in heat. she could be trying to find her kittens, or telling the other cats to go away, or just feeling uneasy. As you say, not much you can do for her, but if you can give her food, that is helping her at least.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts