Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is very odd and I feel a bit uncomfortable with it all. It is not about my cat, it is about a street cat. But it makes me feel sad.

Background story first. A few weeks ago front neighbour told me a street cat had moved with her litter (2 babies) into her backyard. She didn't want them there as their dog and the mommycat were not happy to share. She asked me if I wanted the babies, so I would "steal" them from the mother, that should leave afterwards. I was not sure if Loreta was really pregnant and was hesitating, although they seemed old enough to stop breastfeeding. But she was contacting at the same time a cat shelter group and they came (taking the decision of my hands) and took mother to be neutered and babies. They kept the babies with them for adoption and released the mother back here in the neighbourhood after neutering. They stated on their Facebook that the mom was too feral and would be happier on the streets of her neighbourhood.

I've seen this (ex-)mommy around sometimes, in my backyard, on the street. She always seems sad to me but it may be because I transfer to her my feelings and she is OK. She seems frightened. I offered her some dry food a couple of times, ended up leaving it on the floor and went away as she wouldn't approach me. But what bothers me the most is what happened next...

My wife and I were on the front street watering flowers, catching sun and speaking with a neighbour. That cat was hiding around with two male cats (one of them the father of my Loreta's babies) always following her around. And I heard hauling, just like Loreta did when she was in heat. At a given time the cats were startled by a car passing by and my wife's presence and the (ex-)mommy made a run for our front door (that was open). She almost entered the house but then looked at my wife and run a different way. My wife kept quiet as she felt pity for the cat and would be OK for taking her for a bit so that she could escape the males and maybe eat something.

My 1000$ question is, do males haul like females in heat? Or do females haul even after being neutered? Or could it be that the rescue-group did not neuter her for reals? I feel sorry for her, although there isn't much I can do...

·
Registered
290 Posts
It's unlikely that the rescue group didn't spay the cat. There could be several reasons for her to be meowing, but not because she is in heat. she could be trying to find her kittens, or telling the other cats to go away, or just feeling uneasy. As you say, not much you can do for her, but if you can give her food, that is helping her at least.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some updates on this. The cat now knows I'm not a threat and although I can't touch her, I can get within 3 meters (sorry, not good with imperials, maybe 12 feet) of her without her escaping.
Once she was hiding under the front neighbour's car while Loreta's "boyfriend" was stalking her or guarding her next to the car. I showed up outside with a food plate and she got out from under the car and got nearer to me (she had to go around Loreta's "boyfriend"). Then I placed the plate on the floor where I could watch from a window inside and went home. She ate it all while the male was watching, as if taking care of her. So nice!
So, I've been leaving that plate outside with some food and (not everyday) some food disappears. I have no way to know if it is her or another cat.

Today something new happened. After several days of good weather, today it was drizzling. We have an old sofa on the patio and is fabric so we have to cover it when it rains. We went there to cover it and under the cloth that we also have on it for dust and birds... Was that cat sleeping! She ran away frightened and stood on top of the wall between our patio and the neighbour's one. I fetched the plate with food and placed it near her, on the floor, and backed away and she came down to eat. Then she went away. But she looked better, happier. That is to say, walking more straight and the eyes not as frightened.

I took a picture of her eating. Not very good, I need to take another of her were we can see the face.
1623843493416.png

Oh, and the hauling! I watched the third cat haul again. That cat was with Loreta's "boyfriend" only. So, the other time maybe it wasn't even this ex-mommy hauling but that siamese'ish 3rd cat.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So... Some people is looking into this thread so I'll put some more pictures, mostly, as it is what we like to see, right? 😸

Got a picture of the ex-mommy when she was waiting for me to put the plate with food for her to eat. Still looks a bit sad, though.
1624276659902.png

I now feel more at ease letting Loreta out with supervision as I know she will come back for the babies. The ex-mommy and her boyfriend were around and she came out. Took photos of them all together. Loreta and the ex-mommy have met again afterwards and they rub noses and smell each other and nothing more.
1624276858987.png

Loreta and her boyfriend, the kitties' father. I think she is mad at him for something 😹
1624276896927.png

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll have to back off a bit from contacts with this stray ex-mommy...
Sunday I went out to get something from the car and the ex-mommy was taking a dump in the dirt of my "flower bed to be" (pictured above, the bottles with water were supposed to deter animals from using that area, doesn't work). I didn't scare her, got her food plate, tried to give her food and get near her. Then ignored her for a while just doing chores around (picking weeds from the flower beds, picking the dump she took, etc). Then I gave up and went back home. Just a few minutes later I heard a scratching noise outside and opened the door. The ex-mommy was scratching my doormat (thick type that cats like). She didn't run away, just stared. I kneeled down and offered Catisfactions I had on my pocket. It was the closest I ever was to her. She pawed my hand for the food to drop (no claws, so it was not a proper attack) and she ate them. Offered again, same behaviour. Loreta came near me and I offered her too. So, I was at the door, the ex-mommy outside, Loreta inside, giving Catisfactions to both, all seemed great, I could almost touch the stray...

And out of the blue Loreta hissed and rocketed past me and drove away the ex-mommy (and the kitties father that had arrived and was on the other side of the street observing). So, Loreta sees her as a threat to her space and defended her territory. I never thought she would see it like this, seems I really have a lot to learn about cats...
So, I'll keep the plate out with food for the stray but I'll stop attempts at interaction because Loreta is my cat and I don't want to do something that may hurt her feelings or make her feel unsafe... I hope I'm doing the right thing...

·
Registered
290 Posts
In my mind you are doing the right thing. Loreta has kittens, plus she is relatively new in her little paradise in your home, so it is completely natural that she would defend the space. I have often seen a cat aggressively defend their territory when they have recently come from a hard situation into one that suits them very well. They don't want to share, and one cannot blame them.

One time someone I knew was picking out a new cat at a shelter. She had one cat out in the meet-and-greet room, sitting on her lap contentedly. The staff brought in another cat the person was interested in, and the cat on the lap drove the second cat away. As if to say, "No, she's Mine!" It was funny, but made it clear that she was a one cat, one person only kind of girl. (she got adopted immediately, by the way)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts