Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
George and Herbie are each about 2-1/2 years old. They have been raised together their entire lives, except for the fact that George was here about 2 weeks before Herbie.

George is quiet, laid back and has is VERY passive in the way he deals with things, until he reaches his boiling point. Herbie, on the other hand, is hyper, demands attention very EVERYBODY, and is aggressive.

I know it's normal for cats to "play wrestle" but sometimes it just seems these 2 get out of hand. Herbie is also very jealous, so if George has something he wants, or is laying in a chair that he feels he deserves at the moment, he'll go up to George, lick him to death until George can't take it anymore and George usually just jumps off of the chair or whatever it is Herbie is having a fit over and George finds something else to do. Once in a while, though, Herbie seems to be real nasty and he'll just walk by George and bite him in the behind. Then things get real interesting! By then, George will have blown his top and it turns into an all out nasty fight. They wrestle each other to the point that hair literally flies through the air! They'll chase each other around for about 5 minutes, sometimes up to 10, and then things will simmer back down and all is well in the house. Spats like these usually happen once or twice a day.

Is the way they fight normal or is Herbie just being an overaggressive jerk and picking on George because he knows he's passive?

·
Registered
42 Posts
It is normal, and I agree there is much social battling going on within the play. I think, though, you can help deflate that energetic balloon that's so much a part of the normal cat sleep-hunt cycle through play therapy. Basically, we're talking about you insinuating yourself and an interactive toy they can't say no to between them for an average of fifteen minutes a day. Poop them both out aerobically and address their core hunter instincts at the same time. It's a no lose! Also, alpha cat will start to look to you to release that energy and less to passive cat.
Play therapy is obviously a little more involved than I just described. See the article at http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... w&item=012 for a better explanation.

Have fun with them :lol:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Be careful--serious damage COULD result. See my post in this forum--"Why does she hate him so much?".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts