Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two of my cats have been scratching more than often, and I'm a bit worried. How often should a cat scratch themselves? They are scratching in the head/neck region, as well as in their ears, (can they scratch anywhere else?) Ear mites? They scratch about 2-3 times a day, that I see. They don't scratch aggressively. They are black cats, so it's hard to see any flea dust, or anything. I haven't seen anything in their fur at all. They aren't losing a lot of fur. I have also noticed in one of them, his fur is coming out with the skin attached. It's just a little bit of fur. He doesn't have any bald spots either. Am I just overreacting? Should I get a flea comb?

Thanks in advance! Any and all feedback is much appreciated.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Definitely get a flea comb, and comb your cat every day, followed by a treat. If he has fleas, a flea comb can get rid of them, and majority of cats like being combed and look forward to it. Also giving the cat a bath with a flea shampoo can get rid of fleas. Often times, if your cat has not been bathed before as a kitten, he may object or dislike it.. I bathe mine in the kitchen double sink--bathe in one and rinse in the other--rather than a bath tub as it is easier on my back and easier to keep control of the cat Just make sure that your water is very warm, cats have body temperate of 100-102 F degrees (30-31C) which would be most comfortable for them. Where cat sleeps, wash in hot water any blankets in event of fleas or their eggs that may be there.. All the best!

Reactions: Kitty827

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I'll definitely get a flea comb. Since they are adults, I don't want to risk bathing them, unless I know for sure they have fleas. They had some contact with a stay who had fleas, but I kept them apart as best I could. How could they have gotten fleas from the stray? My female sniffed him a couple times. The males didn't have close contact. Since they are outside, they don't have a bed or blankets. Only two out of three scratch. Thank you again!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got a flea comb, flea collars, and flea spray. Using the flea comb, I think I found a flea on one of them. I got a fur, sand, and pollen off of them with the flea comb. I'm going to put the flea collars on them sometime today.

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
PLEASE be extremely careful with flea collars!
Most cats will tolerate them...
BUT...some cats are very, very sensitive to the ingredients in them...which can lead to all kinds of health issues, some can even be life threatening!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you! Yes, I do know that. The flea collars I got them are all natural, but as you said, some cats are sensitive to the ingredients. They aren't sensitive to most things. As for life-threatening, what kind of health issues could be life-threatening? Thanks for the links.

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
TOXICITY!

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
Kitty, that sounds pretty safe!
Is the collar, also a break a way?
Since outside cats can get hung up on things...important to take into consideration!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's good. And, yes, it's a break away. I read about that in one of the links you gave me. The collars are on there good enough, I don't think they could get caught on anything.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think the males are losing fur on the front of their neck from the flea collars. The female seems to be tolerating it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts