Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed today my barn cat has rather pink nipples. The tissue under them is also quite thick if that makes sense. weight-wise, she does not appear pregnant whatsoever.
I've never been around a cat in heat but from what I have read on the internet, it's relatively easy to tell. I honestly do not recall any signs or "cat-in-season" behaviour at all from her. So, unless she is good at hiding it, I don't think she has even had her first heat yet.

So what's up with the large pink nipples?.. they were definitely not like this before. Aren't they supposed to be small and white/flesh colored?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Nipples "pink up" around 3 weeks after mating, so I would say you're cat looks preggers to me.....even matches your nail polish! Neat! She likely won't start swelling in her abdomen until after a month or a bit. She likely got bred as soon as she came into heat. Tomcats can smell a girl coming into heat before she actually starts vocalizing or rolling around on the floor/ground. Gestation is 63-65 days, so you should be getting prepared for her now. Are you going to let her have her litter in the barn or the house? Sometimes tomcats, especially one that didn't sire the litter, will each newborn kitties, as it will bring the queen back into heat.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ugh.. Why can't cats be like dogs and cycle every 6 ish months! :roll:
I can't keep them in the house due to allergies, but the older house is still on the property from when the new house was built, so she can stay in one of the rooms.
So, is there any chance she is not pregnant with nipples like that? If she is, it's probably around 3 week along then?

And, yes it does match my nail polish almost spot on, and the color is hot hot pink!! :D

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
I should have modified my answer.....pink nipples don't always indicate a pregnancy, but usually do. There is the slight possibility that she's not pregnant, but it's fairly rare, and that is she is having a "false" pregnancy....pinks up and abdomen may even swell a littlle, but then nothing and goes back to normal. Another possibility is that she may resorb a fetus, and no kitten will be born, or it could be a stillborn. How old was she when you got her, do you know? It's very difficult to tell the age of a cat, but if she doesn't look to be full grown, and she's 8 or 9 mos. old now she got bred in her first heat.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I thought they were 7-8 months, but very recently found out they are at the very minimum over 9. They are tiny though, just over 5 pounds as of now.
As for why I have a male and female cat, well my neighbours bought 2 separate litters off of craigslist (like 9 kittens I believe it was) and before I moved they gave me 2 kittens (different litters) and assured me they were both female, as I told them I did not want a male and female. So fast forward to a few months ago, and I realized that the one is a male. Me being a noob thought that the males genitals were on the stomach (like a dogs) so I thought for the longest time he was a female.... :oops::fust

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
If you haven't already done so I'd suggest taking them in to the vet. A vet can tell you approximate age, gender (for sure), if this one is pregnant, AND you could get them their shots and parasite control.

If your girl is pregnant she shouldn't get shots, but the other one sure can. And if that one is a male then you should see about getting him neutered.

If you can't afford to take them both to the vet I'd suggest surrendering them to a local no-kill shelter.it wasn't very fair to these cats that you got them, gave them no vet care up to this point, didn't get them fixed, and then let them wander around outside where they could possibly get sick or pregnant. If you intended for them to be strictly outdoors then it's even more important to get them fixed (as you now know), and to get their basic care.

I know that sounds mean, but if you aren't able to take care of an animal then you should wait to get one until you can afford their basic care.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you haven't already done so I'd suggest taking them in to the vet. A vet can tell you approximate age, gender (for sure), if this one is pregnant, AND you could get them their shots and parasite control.

If your girl is pregnant she shouldn't get shots, but the other one sure can. And if that one is a male then you should see about getting him neutered.
I live in the middle of nowhere now, there are no vets and definitely no animal shelters. I was well acquainted with my vet before moving to where I am now, and he was kind enough to sell me a ton of dewormer, Novamoxin (amoxicillin), Clavamox as well as ear mite and ear infection cleaner than I will probably ever use so I can adminster it myself if need be. I also don't give my pets shots, and I do not get them either. I am anti-vaccines.

If you can't afford to take them both to the vet I'd suggest surrendering them to a local no-kill shelter.it wasn't very fair to these cats that you got them, gave them no vet care up to this point, didn't get them fixed, and then let them wander around outside where they could possibly get sick or pregnant. If you intended for them to be strictly outdoors then it's even more important to get them fixed (as you now know), and to get their basic care.

I know that sounds mean, but if you aren't able to take care of an animal then you should wait to get one until you can afford their basic care.
Whoa, way to jump the gun. Who said anything AT ALL about not being able to afford vet care? I most definitely can but there is no need. Just because they have not been to a vet does not mean that they are not taken care of does it? I certainly do not think so. They have been dewormed, have shelter, freedom, food/water and attention so what's the issue.
And yes, they are strictly outside cats. They are there for a purpose and that is to keep the mouse population down. I have no one around me for miles and miles, so the chance of them wandering away/getting pregnant (by other cats, hence why I wanted 2 of the same gender) or sick is low as there is no contact with other animals.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I grew up in the middle of nowhere and feral cats showed up all the time on our farm. If there is a female cat, a male cat will find her. Even if you didn't have a male. Not judging, just trying to inform. I would get the male fixed asap, and there has to be a vet within driving distance. And if the female is pregnant I would have her spayed as soon as she is allowed after kittens are born. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Kittyminky;845274 I have no one around me for miles and miles said:
Used to live in the middle of nowhere with no neighbors for miles. People still dumped animals out nearby. People do it when they see a house or barn assuming the cat/dog will find a home. In the area I lived in all strays/feral/abandoned cats and dogs were shot on sight by anyone with cattle or other livestock. So don't assume they are not out there.

Good luck with your girl.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Oh they can come wandering, but any stray animals will either get caught in the trap or killed by one of my dogs.
I have livestock and do not tolerate unwanted animals on my property especially when they can harm my other animals.

So, back on track here, at what point will it be blatantly obvious she is pregnant? When should I stop allowing her to go outside?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Pink can indicate she's coming into call, but given her age and the fact she's outside she's more likely to be pregnant.

She can still be spayed asap.

By 6 weeks along the belly will be well rounded.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Oh they can come wandering, but any stray animals will either get caught in the trap or killed by one of my dogs.
I have livestock and do not tolerate unwanted animals on my property especially when they can harm my other animals.
In seven years of reading different cat forums I've seen this kind of reasoning time and time again, but it always turns out that the cats have found a way to do the deed.

Even if she couldn't get pregnant it is not a good idea to keep a female cat unspayed. There are significant health risks associated with going into heat time and time again without being bred. One thing that often happens is that the uterus gets infected and in that case the cat needs to see a vet ASAP for an emergency spay otherwise she will die. Spaying is part of basic cat care.

What is your back up plan for complications during the delivery ? I'm a volunteer for a rescue and we've had visits from the vet to inject oxytocin when the queen retained a placenta (it has to come out or the cat gets very ill) , we've also been to the vet in the middle of the night for emergency c-sections. Can you get help for her if need be ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay well I guess I just have to wait and see. When should she not be let outside?
And no to the spaying or neutering. I don't spay or neuter any of my dogs either and do not have oops litters, my one female had to be spayed due to pyometra but if that had not have happened, she would still be intact. Animals need their reproductive organs for more than just reproduction. The male and female will just have to be let outside on rotating days and be kept separate at all times.

Thanks for the help people!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
What is your back up plan for complications during the delivery ? I'm a volunteer for a rescue and we've had visits from the vet to inject oxytocin when the queen retained a placenta (it has to come out or the cat gets very ill) , we've also been to the vet in the middle of the night for emergency c-sections. Can you get help for her if need be ?
If she runs into complications she will be put down. Keep in mind here these are barn cats, NOT pets. They will get basic care and medecine when sick, but if it is something severe like that they will just get put down. IF she was a pet and I actually had a bond with her I would probably opt for a C-section. Animals get pregnant and give birth all the time and have for thousands of years, most of the time it goes well and others it does not, that's just the way it goes.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
If she runs into complications she will be put down. Keep in mind here these are barn cats, NOT pets. They will get basic care and medecine when sick, but if it is something severe like that they will just get put down. IF she was a pet and I actually had a bond with her I would probably opt for a C-section. Animals get pregnant and give birth all the time and have for thousands of years, most of the time it goes well and others it does not, that's just the way it goes.
The problem is that there are many on this forum who have barn cats, and still consider them pets. And they get the same care as "real" pets. And while animals have been getting pregnant and giving birth for "thousands of years", that's not true for cats. They've been domesticated over time. Your lowly barn cats are more than likely descendants of cats that had owners at one time. How you can think less of a barn cat because it's not truly a pet is beyond me.

Another thing that bothers me about your answer is that your attitude is very cavalier. "My barn cat got pregnant. She's having a difficult birth...let's just put her down. No need to keep her or the kittens alive. After all, she's JUST a barn cat." The thing is, is she does have a difficult birth, it will be YOUR fault because you didn't have her spayed. Barn cats deserve to have a good life just like a pet cat does. Being a barn cat does not make it any less of a responsibility.

·
Registered
716 Posts
this thread makes me very angry. domestic cats are not wild animals. they have been tamed by humans and therefore are our responsibility. the population is out of control and thousands of cats and dogs are put to sleep everyday because people do not spay and neuter them. cats who have been altered are much happier and healthier. i will now leave this thread and never return. please educate yourself....

·
Super Moderator
18,396 Posts
Kittyminky....the one thing you obviously don't understand about cats is that they are not like dogs when it comes to heat cycles. While a dog has a couple of cycles per year, a cat that isn't satisfied will go into perpetual heat for weeks, maybe a break for a few days and then start again. You will not be able to manage keeping her and the male away from each other...you will have oops litter after oops litter if you do not spay her. She will have to become a house cat, and even then the likelyhood of keeping them apart is extremely small.

I guess I also need to ask what's going to happen to the kittens, who will very likely not be all the same sex? If you keep them you'll find out just how fast they'll multiply.

Quite frankly, your spay/neuter position when it comes to free roaming cats is completely inappropriate. It may have worked for you with dogs, but cats are not dogs and you cannot use the same approach with them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm not going to quote everyone, so I'll just answer everybody in one post...

my4kitties, I know they are domesticated, I meant that comment as all animals give birth and whether they are wild or not, some will have complications and some will not.

shan841, farewell!

doodlebug, the older house on my property has 2 separate sides, so they can both be in there one on each side, and they can be let out on rotating days, so they won't have any contact whatsoever.
For what will happen with the kittens, I will keep them until 8 weeks and then put ads up for free kittens.

And to shan841's comment of "the population is out of control and thousands of cats and dogs are put to sleep everyday", so? thousands and thousands of cows/pigs/chickens etc etc get put down everyday for food, they have personalities and feeling as well, no different than a cat. It's all a matter of perspective and my cats are not pets and will not get preferential treatment for being a "domestic animal".

·
Super Moderator
18,396 Posts
Well, I hope you don't have plans for anyone to ever occupy that house. The male will spray and the female might also when she's in heat. The place will stink to high heaven in no time. In addition, unless you live in a very cold climate, I hope you plan to air condition this place for the cats because I can guarantee that one or the other will go through the screens when the girl is in heat. And unless you have a double entrance, the girl will door dash on you.

I get that you are treating these cats as working animals. They are providing a service to you by keeping your vermin down. In return the least you can do is provide them a good life. And a life on continuous heat cycles and oops pregnancies (they will happen, you will not be able to control it like you think you will) and locked in an empty house every other day is not a good one.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.