Cat Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Premium Member
18,372 Posts
Kittyminky....the one thing you obviously don't understand about cats is that they are not like dogs when it comes to heat cycles. While a dog has a couple of cycles per year, a cat that isn't satisfied will go into perpetual heat for weeks, maybe a break for a few days and then start again. You will not be able to manage keeping her and the male away from each other...you will have oops litter after oops litter if you do not spay her. She will have to become a house cat, and even then the likelyhood of keeping them apart is extremely small.

I guess I also need to ask what's going to happen to the kittens, who will very likely not be all the same sex? If you keep them you'll find out just how fast they'll multiply.

Quite frankly, your spay/neuter position when it comes to free roaming cats is completely inappropriate. It may have worked for you with dogs, but cats are not dogs and you cannot use the same approach with them.

· Premium Member
18,372 Posts
Well, I hope you don't have plans for anyone to ever occupy that house. The male will spray and the female might also when she's in heat. The place will stink to high heaven in no time. In addition, unless you live in a very cold climate, I hope you plan to air condition this place for the cats because I can guarantee that one or the other will go through the screens when the girl is in heat. And unless you have a double entrance, the girl will door dash on you.

I get that you are treating these cats as working animals. They are providing a service to you by keeping your vermin down. In return the least you can do is provide them a good life. And a life on continuous heat cycles and oops pregnancies (they will happen, you will not be able to control it like you think you will) and locked in an empty house every other day is not a good one.

· Premium Member
18,372 Posts
No I'm not saying the words you have put in my mouth at all.

You will obviously do what you want with these cats no matter what we say. You'll learn the lesson the hard way...too bad your female cat will be the one to pay for your ignorance and unwillingness to take some advice from people who know far more about cats than you do. But I guess it doesn't matter because she's just a barn cat, completely expendable and easily replaced.

· Premium Member
18,372 Posts
I think we've all made our points over and over. If it hasn't penetrated by now, it never will...so it's time to lock this thread.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.