Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone has had any experince with a cat who definitely wanted to be the only cat and did not like other kitties.

I have a 3 and a half year old kitty I adopoted from the spca about 7 months ago. On his papers the kennel techs noted that he was a dominant cat, a fighter, and seemed to hate other cats. Because of this he was kept locked in his cage.

So I am scared to get another cat because I don't know if he really does hate other kitties or if he was just stressed from being at the spca.

PS It is kind of a good thing he was kept in a cage because the reason why I chose him was because he kept sticking hi paw and leg out and grabbing me and meowing :lol:

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
I do think some cats prefer to be the only cat. Especially after they become used to having their humans to themselves.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Sabby's definitely a one-cat kind of kitty. He was raised with a dog, but didn't get along with her. To this day cocker spaniels are the only other animal he can abide, but he's not ever happy about it.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Very true, some cats prefer to be alone. I can definitely see that. My friend's cat hates other people, let alone other cats!

If your kitty was noted for being a dominant cat, maybe he'd be better off being the sole one. Besides, it sounds like he's getting all the love he needs from you! :D

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Yes, I've seen a few cats at the shelter that have a note on their cage saying that it wants to the only kitty. My old girlfriend's cat was that way. He would go ballistic at the vet just from the smell of other cats in the air and he attacked her leg one time after she obviously stepped in something that a cat "marked". He was a sweet cat otherwise.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes he is getting lots of love and attention from us!!

I am not working right now and am a bit worried that when I go bak to work he will be lonely because of all these months having me around all day...so I ws thinking of another kitty.

BUT I don't want to make him mad or have a new kitty that gets abuse from him.

So solo kitty he will stay!

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
When Kitty was an only cat, I used to play videos for her when I left for work. I'd put in a cat video, press play and set the sleep timer on the TV for 1 hour. That way she could entertain herself and watch TV for at least part of the time I was away.

(It's says something about you when your instructions to the cat-sitter include "Please put in her video at least once a day...")

·
Registered
656 Posts
My Minnie cat would be so happy if she was the only cat in the house! However, we adopted her with her brother Jerry. She loves him very much. She likes Lilly ok also.

She hates Jessy(her baby) and Simon, and will not go near them without attacking them!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts