Cat Forum banner

Do you allow your cat(s) on the counters?

• Only on bathroom counters

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, on both kitchen & bathroom counters

• I don't allow my cat(s) on bathroom or kitchen counters

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to not allow my cat on the counters but with my newest cat he has been more difficult to train so I've given up. I'm just wondering how many people allow their cats on the counters.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I'm glad the bathroom counter was an option. My cat isn't allowed on the kitchen counter, but he drinks out of the faucet in the bathroom.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, at first it was just the bathroom counters and then a couple days ago it has moved to the counters in the kitchen.. :lol: He likes to watch me open up his canned food. Daddy of course does not like this and tells him to get off...so he would disagree with this poll of mine!!

Edit: At least with my answer... :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
At first, Jim and I were very strict about keeping Skeeter off of the counters in the kitchen, but we realized he probably get's lonely down there on the floor and just wants to be up higher where all of the action is. :) Unfortunately, sometimes he jumps up when I'm chopping veggies or something and gets scolded. One time he jumped onto the stove when it was off, but it still scared me quite a bit. "What if..."?? You know? He hasn't done that since he got the drenching of his life from the squirt bottle, though.
And we technically don't have counters in the bathroom (old house), but he climbs all over the toilet, sink, and tub. He also hangs out on the towel rack we have and has made a little napping place on top of it. :)

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I don't allow them - Frosty is the only one who is the most daring and naughty. Sometimes he is sitting so cute that I can't tell him to get off however :oops:
Therefore although I don't allow them/him it is not a big deal when it happens. I say NO and give him treats or practice some of the games that he likes inviting him on the floor

·
Registered
696 Posts
I have to admit I've kind of given up :oops: I had tried and tried to stop Cleveland getting onto the counters but I came home several days to find him fast asleep on one. I'm sure the minute I walked out he was running along them shouting nah nah nah nah nah and sticking his tongue out. We made him his own perch as we call it and he quite happily sits there while I cook, away from food and cooker.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Pfeffa doesn't have the ability to jump up to counters - so no problem there.

Hobochangba, oddly, hasn't ever (that I've seen) jumped up on the kitchen counters. He does get on the bathroom sink, which we allow, but there isn't a counter, and there's not a whole lot of room to stand or sit, and since he's not very graceful he often winds up on the floor by his own missteps.

·
Registered
137 Posts
seeing as how I cook maybe once a month, I couldn't care less. On those rare occasions I do venture into the kitchen, I just tell them to get down and they are pretty good at listening.

And yes, if the pizza place or the chinese place doesn't hear from me after more than a week or so, they have been known to call me to make sure I'm ok. :oops: Pitiful I know.

katsprat

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
I wouldn't care about them on the kitchen counters except I want to prevent them from accidently stepping on the stove. Actually, the kitchen counter is the *only* place they aren't allowed (except for on top of the gerbil tanks :roll: ). They have claimed the kitchen table as their domain.

·
Registered
672 Posts
CyberPet said:
Allowing them and them doing it anyway is two different things. :D
Ha Ha I was about to post something to that effect.

Stix is the only one who dares to jump on the kitchen counter while I am home. He has done it a few times while I was using the counter, but since I have started spashing him with water from the sink, he mostly sneaks up there when Im in another room. Kota has only been caught once and got sprayed with a water bottle by her daddy.

Edit: I dont care if they get on the bathroom counter. Unless I am brushing my teeth or something, they can sit there all they want.

·
Registered
38 Posts
counters

When there was just one cat, I was very adamant about him staying off the counters.Then we adopted a Maine **** female and there was NO way we could keep her off, so I just started to let her enjoy the view from the window in the kitchen...which she does by hopping up on the counter. Then came cat number three last month...the first cat, a male, was having a hard time dealing with another cat coming into the family also the puppy who arrived at the same time. So to make cat #1 feel special, I allowed him to enjoy the kitchen window and the counters as much as he wants to. Heck all I have to do when I cook, is to take Clorox wipes to it! Havent gotten sick yet! My cats are strictly indoor only cats, so I dont worry about germs.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I have this pet peeve of hubby making sandwiches on the counter without a papertowel or plate..this is one way of making him stop! :twisted: Also I never worry about a hot stove because it's more difficult for him to get over there and I leave the pan on the stove to cool down so that seems to take care of that. The only place I don't allow him is on the dining room table - that's a no-no. Darn if he'll listen to me though. This cat has a mind of his own. None of my other cats cared about getting on counters.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
They generally aren't interested in the kitchen counters, which is good because Iwon't allow it anyway. They've learned that the kitchen table is a no-no.

I do let them on the bathroom counters because it's fun to watch them drink from the faucet. They manage to get soaked and then usually have a wrestling match over who gets to stick their head in the water.

·
Registered
706 Posts

My kitty doesn't jump up on the counters either in the kitchen or bathroom, but if he did i would only let him on the bathroom counter cuz i kno my mom would have a cow if he was on the kitchen coutners lol

·
Registered
17 Posts
I used to try and keep Sylvester off the kitchen counter but after setting the video camera up right before going to work, I found that he jumps right up there after I leave. :lol: So, apparently, he's allowed on the bathroom and kitchen counters. :lol:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Mammers isn't terribly co-ordinated, and never has been. Unless he has some help to get up on the counter or a higher place he can jump from, he can't get up on the counter. So I moved the garbage pail from beside the counter to the other side of the wall.....so now that he can't go from floor-garbage-counter, he doesn't bother trying to get up there at all.

Bathroom counter/sink is fine.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
My cats don't bother with both anymore since they were kittens but I won't let my cats on the kitchen counter if they were to go up there :wink:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts