Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I have a box with packing peanuts stored in my closet. Every time when I open my closet, my Metoo will dash into the box (I think Meatball wants to get into that box too, but she was beaten by Metoo every time). The box is exactly the size of Metoo, so she can snuggle in very comfortably. However it is almost impossible for me to get her out. I usually pick my cats up by putting my hand under their armpit, but I cannot squeeze my hand into the box, and the box is deep. I guess Metoo knows my intention so she makes it even harder. I end up having to tilt the box, almost upside down to get her out. But then I have to put all peanuts back... :cussing

I remembered that ppl says cats can be held by scruff. I tried to do that, but it's kind of scary to have all the loose skin up in my hand. And when I try to lift Metoo, I feel like I'm losing the grip and afraid I will hurt her. Anyone ever pick up an adult cat by scruff? Does your cat enjoy it? Are there any tricks to do it?

·
Registered
716 Posts
I was always under the impression that it's not good to do with adult cats. It is natural for kittens, since thats how mommy carries them, but adults weigh much more so I don't think we can apply that logic. I swore off a vet who once carried my cat by the scruff :/

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My vet holds my cats still by grabbing their scruff, but I don't think he ever lifted them that way... There are online articles say that holding a cat by scruff can calm them down, but, well, many online articles are not trustworthy...

PS: A bit off topic but related. When I was a kid, I saw many ppl holding rabbits by their ears. They said the rabbit ears are senseless and I believed them. It's only after over 10 years later that I realized how wrong they were.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
I do frequently with Blacky, she's only about 6 pounds. I only do it for a few seconds, like to pick her up from the ground into my arms or to haul her over top of something (like the dogs blocking her way from getting to me on the bed :p)... she's never complained.

I don't so much with Blaze, he used to weigh about 15 pounds and it didn't seem like such a good idea. When I have done it though he's never complained either.

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
Absolutely do not lift an adult cat by the scruff...the weight is to much and can damaged muscles and nerves. Holding them by the scuff while their body is supported by your other hand, table, floor, etc. is fine. But don't lift by the scruff.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Absolutely do not lift an adult cat by the scruff...the weight is to much and can damaged muscles and nerves. Holding them by the scuff while their body is supported by your other hand, table, floor, etc. is fine. But don't lift by the scruff.

+1

It's not good.

·
Registered
8,963 Posts
This.

·
Banned
9 Posts
I'll scruff Freya when clipping her nails or something but always supporting their body. I would definitely agree that it hurts them if you pick them up by the scruff when they're an adult.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have always been too afraid of hurting Milky to do this. I always hold him with one arm under his rump and another under his arms then tilt him over to lie snuggly in my arms, kind of like holding a baby!

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I don't see why Metoo can't stay in the box as long as she likes.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I used to grab Sophie by the scruff if she brought home a bird (but I didn't pick her up that way). That would make her let it go.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Cats just can't resist boxes. I brought in an emply box last night to store some paerwork in. Each cat had to jump in the box and claim it for a while. So the moving of the paperwork just had to wait a few hours.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks folks for the input! I'm glad I didn't really do it :)

I think you need to put a lid of some sort over the box!
The box has lids, but then Metoo just directly jumps on the lid. Because the box is half empty, it cannot support Metoo's weight, so the lid just collaped into the box. Almost broke my precious box! :fust

·
Registered
8,963 Posts
I agree. :p There isn't a piece of paper or cardboard in my apartment that hasn't been christened by cat 'cheeks'. Once they've rubbed on the boxes, slept in it a few times and sat in it a LOT they move on to a new box.

OR you could bring home a way COOLER box that she likes better ;)

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't see why Metoo can't stay in the box as long as she likes.
1. The box is in my closet with all my cloth in. If I leave the closet open, Meatball will come in and play with my cloth. Leaving cat hairs on all my suits :?
2. The box has packing peanuts in. My cats LOVE peanuts. They will intentionally tip over the box to get the peanuts out. It will be a mess anyway :fust

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OR you could bring home a way COOLER box that she likes better ;)
:lol: Cats a possessive. There is no box that can escape their evil paws. I can have a house full of boxes and paper bags, and they will have all of them slept :cat

And the box kept out of reach (e.g., in the closet) is always THE favorite one...:devil

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I'm just used to cat hairs on my clothes. I'm surprised when there aren't any cat hairs on my clothes. I wear them with pride so that other cat owners can spot me

1 - 20 of 29 Posts