Cat Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

· Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Haha, so true... As a kid grow up with long haired cats, I guess I'm trained to love cat hairs as well :D (Of course, except when they get into my eyes/nose/mouth/food/drink.)

However, working in an investment company, one gonna at least pretend to look professional, which doesn't include cat hairs on suits:lol:

· Registered
238 Posts
I would never pick my baby's up by the scruff, it make's me cringe if the vet does this but he does support them underneath with his other hand but I still want to scream "dot do that to my baby"

I imagine what I would feel like to be picked up by my scruff - I would not like it & im sure it would be painful :(

I think the best thing would be to not allow Metoo to get in the box in the first place if you dot wat him in there ;)

· Registered
2,172 Posts
Cats have very loose skin, especially on their scruff. It is a defense mechanism so that they can still spin around and fight/try to escape if they are grabbed. Picking them up by the scruff is harmless if you support their weight. In fact, it also helps to calm many cats if you simply hold their scruff in your hand. This is one of the most common way to restrain cats at the vet clinic I work at, but we are all cat-lovers and always extremely gentle. If the cat is well-behaved and doesn't struggle then I use less forceful ways of restraining. But every cat is different and many cats can and will try to bite... especially the ones at my clinic. (Emergency clinic, so many of them are injured, frightened, in pain etc... I don't blame them!)

· Registered
823 Posts
Moral of this thread: Restraining a cat by it's scruff, and using it as a handle to lift the poor animal are two completely different topics. Never lift by the scruff alone.

The breeder we got Truman from uses chip clips on the scruff of her Ragdoll kittens when clipping their nails. She chip clips them and they literally collapse and lay there with no other assistance. It's pretty funny.

· Registered
317 Posts
I actually do pick Pinky Up by the scruff and support her weight on her rump as a way to "Punish" he and move her away from something (Like the poor fish) It reminds them who has dominance. Of course I am VERY gentle when I do it, so as not to HURT her but establish dominance and remind her not to do that.

· Registered
708 Posts
You are braver than I. If Evie or Mitzi sit in a box, it becomes their box. I bought some lovely 'decorative' storage boxes recently. Mitzi decided she liked one very much. It now lives on top of the wardrobe, empty- so Mitzi can sleep in it when she fancies.

On the scruff note- I wouldn't pick a cat up by the scruff. I do hold them by the scruff to calm them down whilst they are sitting on something though.

· Premium Member
2,847 Posts
Moral of this thread: Restraining a cat by it's scruff, and using it as a handle to lift the poor animal are two completely different topics. Never lift by the scruff alone.
I have to disagree. Blacky doesn't protest when I pick her up by the scruff into my arms, it doesn't seem harmful at all, she is lightweight and it only lasts a second or two. She does protest when I pick her up under the ribcage. The meow doesn't sound too happy, maybe it's arthritis. Of course either way, as soon as she's in my arms she's purring.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.