Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... to be a cat hoarder?

I only have my two girls right now, and don't worry, I won't be getting anymore until my living situation drastically changes. But I do visit the shelter once in awhile just to spend time with the cats, specifically the ones that I WISH I could take home with me! And while I do want to eventually adopt more cats for unselfish reasons - giving a home to a pet who needs one, taking care of them and making sure they are healthy and happy - I do want them for selfish reasons, also.

Cats are just so PRETTY. I sometimes have a strong desire to have many of them simply to have many pretty creatures around me. And I often wish for types of cats that I don't have yet; for example, I'd like a calico, a red tabby, a silver tabby, a brown tortie/torbie, a blue point, a pure black and a pure white cat, etc. And I have an affinity for medium/long-haired females. That really sounds like a collector-syndrome to me, and sometimes I worry about myself because of it.

Does anyone else ever feel this way?

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I do sometimes. It's like a secret fantasy, but to me, it is ONLY a fantasy because I KNOW right now I have as many animals as I can manage and still draw real joy out of doing so. If I had more, vet bills would need to be juggled and food quality would have to be compromised, not to mention I would be unable to maintain the same level of hygiene compromising my own health as well as that of my children.

Right now, I don't own my home, I rent and having more cats would not only make eviction in this apartment imminent, but would drastically limit where I could move to in the future, and more than likely, I would have to rehome animals I would've grown attached to...anyway you slice it, not good! So yes, for selfish reasons, it would be great to have more cats, but rationally, it is not practical, safe, hygienic, or affordable.

·
Banned
470 Posts
Cats are just so PRETTY. I sometimes have a strong desire to have many of them simply to have many pretty creatures around me. And I often wish for types of cats that I don't have yet
I feel the same way about pretty women, but the logistics of managing that many relationships simultaneously tends to result in financial difficulty and ultimate failure, similar to cat hoarding I would assume.

So we all have to learn to exercise self-restraint. ;)

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I definitely have the potential to be a cat hoarder!! My mom told me once she thought I may become one some day. I won't though, because I know that as much as I want to save them all, the living situation for the cats decreases as you hoard.

·
Banned
952 Posts
I feel the same way about pretty women, but the logistics of managing that many relationships simultaneously tends to result in financial difficulty and ultimate failure, similar to cat hoarding I would assume.

*splutter!* *choke!* *cough!*

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!

You are one twistedly hysterically funny dude. I'm totally looking you up when I move to TX. ;-)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Hmm... I once dated a guy who thought that way... but he considered restraint to be unnecessary. :p

·
Banned
952 Posts
... Cats are just so PRETTY. I sometimes have a strong desire to have many of them simply to have many pretty creatures around me. And I often wish for types of cats that I don't have yet; for example, I'd like a calico, a red tabby, a silver tabby, a brown tortie/torbie, a blue point, a pure black and a pure white cat, etc. And I have an affinity for medium/long-haired females. ...
I feel exactly the same way, including the affinity for medium/long-haired cats (except I like males over females). I'll take a pair of each, please! :love2

I'll never be a hoarder, though. I like a neat house... in fact, I insist upon it.... too many cats and the upkeep becomes too much work and interferes with my pleasure in the cats' company.

My preference is a max of five (and yes, I know I have eight right now - would you like to adopt a couple?). :wink

AC

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Each time I think about getting another cat I weigh the pros and cons. I guess that is what seperates someone who *wants* more cats and a hoarder who can't control the impulse to bring more home. The majority of us on here i imagine would love to have more but understand the consequences/ limitations of having more so we don't.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
If i ever was, it owuld only mean many cats - NOT the filth and garbage situations iwth dead cats under piles of crap that you see one TV...

Im sure many of you have at least seen commercials for those shows lol

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AC, not helping!!! lol

Considering I'm NOT getting any more cats due to my living circumstances preventing it... I guess that means I'm NOT destined to be a hoarder. *thumbs up* Once I get a house, I will be adopting more cats, though. I just hope that when that time comes, I will know when to stop. Just as I know that I have to stop for now.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
I currently have 15 cats under my direct care, but please do not make any assumptions about me or my ability, or lack of, restraint. :wink

I guess that is what seperates someone who *wants* more cats and a hoarder who can't control the impulse to bring more home.The majority of us on here i imagine would love to have more but understand the consequences/ limitations of having more so we don't.
I have a difficult time with people commenting to others: "Oh, bring that kitty inside and keep it inside permanantly!" and/or "Oh, what's one more?" in regards to strays or ferals that show up at our homes. I sometimes want to tell these people (who may only have a few pets) to "bite me". When they are/can do what I am doing ... sure, make those comments and we'll commiserate together about the efforts we are making and great lengths we are taking to make a difference. But if they aren't already doing what I do, I find their comments are not welcome and it makes me irritated at them. Oh, I know their hearts are in the right place, but contrary to popular belief ... I would enjoy simplifying my cat-life.

As I said earlier, I have 9 housecats. Quite possibly 10 if this young kitten's neurological issues aren't resolveable. In fact, I think she's been inside too long for me to put her back outside with her family. Then on the other side of that coin ... I've got her FAMILY (mother, 3 siblings and a possible father) down at my barn. Who the heck WANTS 15 cats? Oh, I can afford to care for them; feed/vet them well, but if something drastic were to happen, all would suffer and I would suffer with that knowledge.

So, with 15 cats ... it *does* seem hoarder-ish. But it isn't because I know I cannot become a one-woman shelter.
I truly believe hoarders' intentions are good but they quickly become overwhelmed and then do not know where to turn for help. They are either mentally imbalanced and do not recognize the problem or they are shamed into a silence that effectively cuts them off from the assistance they and the animals need.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I think when I was younger, I had more hoarding potential than I do now. I at one point had six-seven cats in my one bedroom apartment (this was ten years ago mind) Granted I didn't keep them all, most were fosters, but still. I had more than I had room for or money to care for properly. Now that I've seen what all can go wrong with a cat, I'll never have more than two dogs/two cats at one time.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Have you ever watched the show 'Animal Hoarders' on TV? Some of them hoard to the point the animals are living in horrible conditions - I don't see how - if they really love these animals - they allow them to live like that.

Keep living in the smaller place if you are truely worried about it - no room to be a big time hoarder there -eh?!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Well, the term 'cat-hoarder' has such a negative connotation - I'm sure everyone here would agree that in the extreme it's something to be avoided. Too many cats, unhealthy conditions, not enough food, water, vet care.

Personally I have the potential to have lots of cats. I rent, but my landlord is fond of my five and even feeds them for me when I'm away.
This year I took in feral cats from local rescue groups and set them up with an indoor/outdoor situation in a barn I own that is about 5 miles from where I live.

So I have two cat families, 13 cats in all that I know of, and they're all loved and well-cared for. I'm not looking to expand. I just had to reluctantly turn down a request to take two more.
Although I won't deliberately adopt more ferals, I'm sure a few more will find their way here over the years.

All my ferals are young, and I'm anticipating taking care of them for the rest of their potentially very long lives. So in that sense I have to be very careful about adding.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have you ever watched the show 'Animal Hoarders' on TV? Some of them hoard to the point the animals are living in horrible conditions - I don't see how - if they really love these animals - they allow them to live like that.

Keep living in the smaller place if you are truely worried about it - no room to be a big time hoarder there -eh?!
You'd be surprised... some people hoard in trailers!

Doesn't matter how worried I am about turning into a hoarder, however... I am definitely NOT staying where I am now. ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
You'd be surprised... some people hoard in trailers!
You should have met our old neighbors, sheesh, they were the reason we moved, it was disgusting. We called animal control and the health department about 4 times each to report the 50-some-odd cats they had in an 800 sq ft trailer. They also had 7 people living in this trailer, 3 of which were children under the age of 10. Somehow, "the living conditions were fine" and "the animals were well taken care of" - despite the piles of waste all over the floors, furniture, counters, and even on these people's clothes. Ick!
They had 3 dogs chained up in the backyard, too. It was just awful, I was so glad the day they got evicted (ironically, two days after we moved) and the animals were sent to no-kill shelters ):

As for myself, I do wonder from time to time if I could. I also place the blame elsewhere, such as my calendar, which has an adorable Ragdoll for this month that I want to take out of the picture and keep with me. If wanting a specific color more than anything is a start to collector-syndrome, then I've had the potential ever since I saw a Seal Bicolor Ragdoll. They're just so cute, and pretty, and fluffy.. :eek:nekitty
But I know that I can't afford any more cats right now, and moving out of my parents' house and finding a place will likely be hard enough with my two cats unless I rent a house with someone or find a cat-lover Landlord. Every apartment I come across seems to say, "No cats allowed", "No pets allowed", or the fairly rare, "Max total of two pets/cats" - I must be looking in the wrong places. And then on top of that, paying for rent, food, and school; any extra kitties would take a serious toll on the overall health quality, food quality, and living space.
Like others have said, there's a difference between acting on the impulse, and sitting down to consider everyone involved and your current living situation. Hoarders tend to just take more and more in, letting it become seriously out of control.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I could be mistaken, but I think the hoarder mentality is that they are 'saving' the cats. In much the same way that many of the same people have trouble throwing even junk mail -even garbage - away and want to save everything.

In that sense I really do feel I will never go down the road of too many cats. I like things really clean and tidy, to the point of being minimal.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts