Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just going through my inbox and cleaning some things out, realizing that there were a lot of subscriptions I was getting on a daily basis that are no longer necessary.

My husband and I used to head up the daily maintenance of our church's website but since our kids were born we gave that up to someone else. During our couple of years on that project, I was in charge of adding daily scripture quotes, along with a lot of other things, to the web in HTML format. I got approximately 15 church-related free e-mails a day! On top of that, I was subscribing to a joke-of-the-day, a cat-story-a-day type email, a Chicken-Soup-For-The-Soul story a day, and 3 different word-a-day subscriptions for my own personal use.

I have since dropped each and every one of those subscriptions except for the word-a-day ones. I have this weird thing ~ I don't even like (nor do I have time) to read novels but I love learning new words. I started this word-a-day thing about 6 or 7 years ago and, thousands of e-mails later, it still continues. I even went so far as to create a Microsoft Word file and created my own dictionary out of the deal, that used to be over 300 pages long but after some chopping of unnecessary material and font resizing it is currently at a little over 200 pages. I still have over 1500 word-a-day emails in my Inbox that need to be pasted into my Microsoft Word document. I used to be so good at keeping up with it every day and then I became a mother! That job keeps me away from a few things I used to do on a routine basis. :roll: :lol:

Anyway, I just got to wondering if anyone else out there subscribes to any daily e-mail listings and if you save the info or throw them out after reading them.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I subscribe to 2 newspapers: New York Times & Washington Post. I will occasionally save articles and perhaps forward them on to certain people.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Email lists, yes.. daily ones? No. I have done that before - Bible scripture of the day, etc.... But I never have time to read them and I get overwhelmed seeing them sit there unread so I stopped them.

It's all I can do to keep up with my regular email!! :p

·
Registered
513 Posts
They all go into my Noton Anti Spam folger automatically now. I used to get a lot when I was home but no time now! And no I didn't save hardly any! Just deleted most of them.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
I belong to a few email lists, one on Minnesota gardening, one with recipes and one about the Minnesota Vikings. I get them all in a daily digest, as opposed to individual emails. I read them if I have time, but if I don't it's not a big deal to me. I have never actively posted on any of them, I much prefer forums for that sort of thing.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
2kids3cats4me said:
I have since dropped each and every one of those subscriptions except for the word-a-day ones. I have this weird thing ~ I don't even like (nor do I have time) to read novels but I love learning new words. I started this word-a-day thing about 6 or 7 years ago and, thousands of e-mails later, it still continues.

mdmenagerie said:
I do the word a day thing

Just curious, which word a day sites do you ladies like?

I am studying linguistics and just finished a unit on orthography where I learned about a bunch of sites that have word of the day as well as word histories, origins, games, etc. One that I looked at has a list of endangered languages which is positively fascinating! It's www.yourdictionary.com. Cool stuff. :D :D

I used to get daily e-mail from flylady.com, but I realized that I'm not ready for such an intense commitment (at least to cleaning my house). :lol:

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh my gosh, Lisa! If you like to learn origins of words, etc., then the word-a-day sites I subscribe to would be your thing. I'm not a linguistics major or anything but I used to really get into learning all the different aspects of word building, etc., and I used to save all those different parts of info on the e-mails. I don't really have time for it anymore so now I just save the part that actually defines the word and shows its pronunciation.

At any rate, here's the subscribing info for all mine ~

http://wordsmith.org/awad/subscriber.html Wordsmith (I think you'd really like this one. There's a link to click and hear pronunciation, a weekly wrap-up game that quizzes you on the words for that week, etc.)
http://www.startsampling.com/sm/wod/register.iphtml Merriam-Webster Dictionary Online
http://af3.gophercentral.com/sub/sub-word.html

Each and every one of the above sites talks a little bit about the origin of the word and the word is usually used in an example sentence, as well as synonyms and antonyms given on some.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
2kids3cats4me said:
At any rate, here's the subscribing info for all mine ~

http://wordsmith.org/awad/subscriber.html Wordsmith (I think you'd really like this one. There's a link to click and hear pronunciation, a weekly wrap-up game that quizzes you on the words for that week, etc.)
http://www.startsampling.com/sm/wod/register.iphtml Merriam-Webster Dictionary Online
http://af3.gophercentral.com/sub/sub-word.html

Each and every one of the above sites talks a little bit about the origin of the word and the word is usually used in an example sentence, as well as synonyms and antonyms given on some.
Thanks, Jo! I know the first two but haven't heard of the gophercentral site before. I'll have to check that one out. :)

Since starting my linguistics coursework, I realized that I have always been a "word wonk" though more of a latent one until now. I love words and have been having a ball reading about them and investigating these cool sites. And now I am in a class full of people like me who love language! :D

Once I am teaching, I am going to use word a day to create lessons for my ESL students.

You should definitely check out yourdictionary.com. That one is my favorite so far. I'd be glad to share the names of other sites if you're interested. It's a good intellectual break from Barney! :lol: This stuff would have been great for me when my two were little.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Lori said:
I belong to a few email lists, one on Minnesota gardening, one with recipes and one about the Minnesota Vikings. I get them all in a daily digest, as opposed to individual emails. I read them if I have time, but if I don't it's not a big deal to me. I have never actively posted on any of them, I much prefer forums for that sort of thing.
I forgot, I also get daily digests from my local Freecycle group.

I get stuff like this sent to a freemail account that I keep just for subscriptions and for when I order stuff. Keeps my regular inbox mostly free of junk. :wink: Does anyone else do this?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I subscribe to the horse notifications at DRF (daily racing form) and equibase (Virtual Horse Stable). Every day I get notifications on horses who've worked out and are entered to race. Very vital for a horse racing fan, lol ("Oh crud, Wando raced last Thursday and I didn't even know! I wish I had that signed up for the notifications..." lol)

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lymekaps said:
Thanks, Jo! I know the first two but haven't heard of the gophercentral site before. I'll have to check that one out. :)

You should definitely check out yourdictionary.com. That one is my favorite so far. I'd be glad to share the names of other sites if you're interested. It's a good intellectual break from Barney! :lol: This stuff would have been great for me when my two were little.
From what I understand, gophercentral is like a big distribution site for email-a-day things of all sorts. I used to get quite a few of our church emails from them as well.

I checked out yourdictionary.com and I was almost through with registering for it until it started to ask me personal questions, like income. hobbies, etc. That tells me that not only will I get a word a day out of the deal but my email address will be sold to a bunch of spam sites. Am I right about that?

Yes, I would be interested in any other word-a-day sites that you know of, as long as they're free and you don't end up with spam because of them.

LOL on the Barney thing! I can't stand that stupid dinosaur and I haven't introduced my kids to it yet. You see, they're only a year old and so I can control the TV stations. I'm hoping that they don't discover Barney at all but that will probably be out of my hands once the kids are in school and hear their friends talking about him. Then I guess I'll have to give in. :roll:

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
2kids3cats4me said:
I checked out yourdictionary.com and I was almost through with registering for it until it started to ask me personal questions, like income. hobbies, etc. That tells me that not only will I get a word a day out of the deal but my email address will be sold to a bunch of spam sites. Am I right about that?
Oh, that's a pain. :x I didn't sign up for anything there, just read the content. I agree, don't give them your e-mail address. Or do what I do -- set up a freemail account for junk and give them that. :wink:

Here's some other sites that I have learned about recently:

www.allwords.com
www.takeourword.com
www.wordcentral.com
www.wordwithyou.com
www.wordorigins.org

I just started checking these out. I'll be interested to hear what you think!

2kids3cats4me said:
LOL on the Barney thing! I can't stand that stupid dinosaur and I haven't introduced my kids to it yet. You see, they're only a year old and so I can control the TV stations. I'm hoping that they don't discover Barney at all but that will probably be out of my hands once the kids are in school and hear their friends talking about him. Then I guess I'll have to give in. :roll:
Luckily the kids are still flexible at the Barney-loving age! When my younger daughter was in preschool, SpongeBob was becoming popular. I love that show now, as do my kids, but IMO it's a bit over the top for 3 year olds. So we avoided it. :)

Actually, there are lot of things I still don't give in on. For example, my kids don't have GameBoys or any electronic gadgets, which are very big in elementary school. If you really try, you can limit these things. Anyway, this is a whole other topic! We should start a thread for the parents here... :wink:

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lymekaps said:
Here's some other sites that I have learned about recently:

www.allwords.com
www.takeourword.com
www.wordcentral.com
www.wordwithyou.com
www.wordorigins.org

I just started checking these out. I'll be interested to hear what you think!
Hey...WORD HEAVEN! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I guess I never should have started this thread this morning 'cuz now I'm itching to get back into some of the things I used to do and I'll end up disappointing myself if I don't get the time. Hey, at least my kids still take naps. And, hey, housework can always wait, right??? :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts