Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 actually.
The first is a version of the old fashioned grilled cheese.
Grilled pesto and mozzerella cheese!

The second needs to be layered properly for the full effect!
1 slice 12 grain bread
cream cheese
sprouts
provolone cheese
turkey
bacon
mayo
1 slice 12 grain bread

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
Does a burrito count? I live in Texas.

Sandwich wise....I really love Blimpies. I wished that they still have their own brand of chips. They replaced all their store brand gourmet chips with yucky Lays this year. I haven't been back since.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
When I vacationed in New York last summer, I had a 'real' reuben, not the wannabe fake reubens that they sell around here.

Several times sinces, I've been tempted to drive to New York for a sandwich. Just gas costs too darned much........

·
Registered
858 Posts
I get hoagies from an Italian deli that serves nothing but Boars Head lunch meat and very crusty rolls that they get every morning from an Italian bakery in South Philly. My fav is their Turkey Diablo. It's very spicy oven roasted white turkey and spicy cheese. Actually for me the roll is what will make or break a sandwich.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MikePageKY said:
When I vacationed in New York last summer, I had a 'real' reuben, not the wannabe fake reubens that they sell around here.
What's a 'real' reuben? I love reuben's!

reprot said:
I get hoagies from an Italian deli that serves nothing but Boars Head lunch meat and very crusty rolls that they get every morning from an Italian bakery in South Philly. My fav is their Turkey Diablo. It's very spicy oven roasted white turkey and spicy cheese. Actually for me the roll is what will make or break a sandwich.
What's Boars Head lunch meat? Just a brand?
That Turkey Diablo sounds great! I agree, it's the bread that makes or breaks a sandwich!

Shengmei, my hispanic friends would balk at calling a burrito a sandwich, but I'll let you slide!

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
My favorite sandwich is a BLT with sliced avacado, bean sprouts and a slice of cheddar cheese on a croissant.

Oh great....now I'm hungry....

Goes wandering off, looking for something good to eat.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
jennifer2 said:
MikePageKY said:
LOL...I don't know if New York's reubens are any more 'real' than the ones here. But here, they put about a tablespoon worth of stuff between two slices of bread and call it a reuben. The one I got in NY was about 7" tall and weighed nearly 2 lbs :lol:

·
Registered
858 Posts
MikePageKY said:
jennifer2 said:
MikePageKY said:
LOL...I don't know if New York's reubens are any more 'real' than the ones here. But here, they put about a tablespoon worth of stuff between two slices of bread and call it a reuben. The one I got in NY was about 7" tall and weighed nearly 2 lbs :lol:
We were in NY during the holidays and went to the StageDoor deli. You are quite correct on the size, my eyes bugged out. My husband loved his rueben.
And yes Boars Head is a brand. Supposedly no msg, low salt, etc.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I'll eat almost any sandwich but my personal favorite is one of my own design. 'cause I have a goodly amount of time on my hands. It's like a chicken parmesean at subway but I make it myself

chicken breast, can be breaded or unbreaded
maranara sauce
american cheese
chili powder
crusty roll

add the chili powder to the sauce to taste, I tend towards 'lip swelling' spicy foods. spread the sauce on the roll, add chicken and cheese. bake in the oven until bread is toasty

·
Registered
777 Posts
hmm...
well I LOVE grilled cheese - with 2 kinds of cheeses at least. :)
mmmm.... cheeese!! lol

I also love Philly cheesesteaks. Altho I have never been to Philadelphia, there is a place here that people from Philly say it is the real thing! I worked there in college and it is sooo good! I like mine with extra cheese, avacado and mayo. Sounds gross but it is awesome!!

Also, Barnes & Noble of all places has a 5 cheese and tomatoe grilled sandwich that is yummy. :)

And we don't call them hoagies here; I think that is an east coast thing?

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
I like Philly beef and cheese sandwiches. I'm not sure it's traditional, but I always order mushrooms, onions, and green peppers. I believe (?) that the original sandwich has no mushrooms. The great part about these is that they're easy to make at home!

·
Registered
119 Posts
A Philly cheesesteak isn't a Philly cheesesteak without cheese wiz!

My favorite was from Au Bon Pain ... had grilled chicken and cucumbers ... romaine lettuce and ... I forget what cheese. It was a white cheese - and honey mustard sauce (the clear brown kind that looks like dark honey). MMmm..

Other than that I like honey glazed turkey with avocados, swiss, romaine lettuce and (of course) honey mustard sauce ...

Or roast beef with melted muenster ...

Or ... my list goes on and on!

But I absolutely hate ham and american cheese sandwiches. I had too many of those for lunch while I was in grade school. I can't stand them now.

Boar's head is my favorite brand of meat. My second favorite is Dietz & Watson (sp?).

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I just want you all to know, that I looked up everything that I needed to make a reuben sandwich, and make it right, and drove all the way into Glasgow in the middle of the night to get the stuff, JUST because of this silly thread.....

..I hope yer all proud of yerselves :lol:

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Jeanie said:
And I am sick of Ham and American Cheese too! Ham and Swiss on Rye isn't bad, though. :)
Everyone knows that the only way to have a ham and cheese sandwich is to have it with Swiss Cheese. American Cheese is sacrilgious on a ham sandwich...not to mention on hamburgers, too. Cheddar is the way to go!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts