Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure yet where I'll be going for Thanksgiving, what do you think you will be doing or going.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Sorta... Watching the parade, having dinner with the family, helping out with our church's dinner for the needy,giving Robin his turkey treat,cranberry juice and football game...

Family on the holidays...Marie I LOVE your Thanksgiving idea! Turkey stuffed with prozac!

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
When I lived closer to my parents, I went there, but always came back on Saturday, to avoid hideous traffic on Sunday. But since I came down here, I don't do anything. I don't like Thanksgiving enough to make an effort, even though I have nearly a week. Plus, I don't like turkey - to me the bird is just an excuse to have cranberry sauce. I might help out in a soup kitchen.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I'm probably cooking for my kids and their dad. And I'm going the whole 9 yards -- Turkey, ham, mac n cheese, mashed potatoes, cornbread stuffing, green beans with bits of ham and potatoes, candied yams, gravy, cranberry sauce, and either dinner rolls or monkey bread. For dessert, I'll probably make a pumpkin pie and a pumpkin jelly roll, too.

·
Registered
518 Posts
We used to have all the big thanksgiving dinners at our house usually with at least 20 to 30 people here, but now we go to my daughter’s house. My wife loves to cook and we would have 2 (and sometimes 3) turkeys. She cooked one big one in the oven and I deep fried one in peanut oil outside. She then became ill and it became harder to pull off big meals. I can also cook, but I just don’t have the time anymore to cook a large meal for that many people.

My daughter bought her own home a few years ago and wanted to start having dinners at her house. She also likes large dinner parties. A lot of family and friends including her fiancee are allergic to cats and since we ended up with so many cats the dinners started getting smaller and smaller.

It works for me because I have a massive Christmas display to put up starting the day after thanksgiving. It’s a little heartbreaking for my wife because she lived to cooking large dinner parties and we had a lot of them all through the year. I’ve tried many times to just have the dinners catered so she could relax and enjoy herself, but she would just not have it and actually be a little hurt that I even suggested it.

·
Registered
8,978 Posts
I have my first 5K in the morning (too early) and nothing planned the rest of the day other than reveling in having a 4 day weekend. Not a big Turkey eater but I'll probably roast myself a little chicken...or something.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm probably cooking for my kids and their dad. And I'm going the whole 9 yards -- Turkey, ham, mac n cheese, mashed potatoes, cornbread stuffing, green beans with bits of ham and potatoes, candied yams, gravy, cranberry sauce, and either dinner rolls or monkey bread. For dessert, I'll probably make a pumpkin pie and a pumpkin jelly roll, too.
Your meal sounds wonderful and very yummy.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She then became ill and it became harder to pull off big meals. I can also cook, but I just don’t have the time anymore to cook a large meal for that many people.

I am so sorry that your wife is not well enough to enjoy cooking the Thanksgiving dinner. I'm sure you will enjoy the holiday meal at your daughter.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Your meal sounds wonderful and very yummy.

Thank you. No one has ever complained, so I must be doing something right. :lol:

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
No, not banana-nut bread (though thanks for the suggestion!). Monkey bread is also known as pull-apart bread. To make it, you take pieces of uncooked bread dough, dip it in melted butter, layer it in a Bundt or tube cake pan and bake. In some cases, cinnamon and sugar are mixed with the melted butter to make a glazed monkey bread.

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
We will drive about 3 hours to visit my son, daughter-in-law and 6 month old grand daughter. Oh, who am I kidding...I am going to see little Lily and her parents are just a bonus ;-). My son is a great cook so we will also be enjoying a great meal.

Builder I am sorry that your wife is no longer able to throw the parties that she loved doing. It must be so frustrating for her.

·
Registered
431 Posts
My SO volunteered us to make Thanksgiving dinner for his friends in college this coming Sunday. (Which means I get to cook and clean, he gets to hang out) He owes me big for this one. Then on Thursday, I get to cook and clean again, to have my family over for Thanksgiving. Hopefully black friday will bring a good mattress deal so I can get my tempurpedic. Sleep will be much needed after this holiday.

·
Registered
506 Posts
The kids and grand-kids are coming from North Dakota and Kansas. "Over the river and through the woods" - etc. etc. - Fortunately, I have been raising these turkeys that have 4 drumsticks! :D

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Here's a recipe for a traditional Plymouth-Rock-Authentic

Stewed Pompion:
4 cups cooked pumpkin or squash,slightly mashed
3 tablespoons butter
2-3 teaspoons cider vinegar
1 t0 2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt

In a saucepan over medium heat stir and heat all the ingredients together. Adjust seasonings to taste and serve hot.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts