Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My two cats get tired of particular flavors of their food so I have to keep several different types and rotate. Sometimes they absolutely devour one type (the first time I give it), then I'll think OK I've got the one they love now, but then after eating it a few times, they refuse to eat it anymore. Sometimes pouring homemade chicken broth over the less liked food helps, but not always.
Anyone else?
(PS Home cooked chicken is always devoured, but I can't always have that around, and besides, even when I mix it with a less liked canned food, they manage to pick out the chicken pieces and leave the canned)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Cat's are picky (understatement! :p) - some of them get fixated on a single food and don't want to eat anything else, and some of them get sick of having to eat the same thing for every meal. I personally think that's reasonable - I wouldn't want to eat the same thing every meal for the rest of my life, and I imagine after eating it for several meals I'd get pretty sick of it. If switching foods every meal or every few meals keeps them from getting sick of something just do that. It's not certainly not going to hurt them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I don't think my kittens got tired of the same brand over and over again. At any rate, I now rotate multiple different brands and flavors so that they have something different for each meal.

·
Super Moderator
26,809 Posts
My girls get a different flavor every meal. Right now, they're ignoring the Wellness Core. Two days ago, they sucked it up as though I hadn't fed them in three days.

Bratz.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I am currently rotating like the others. One, for me it helps me to cut cost as I can balance high priced items with low cost ones to even out monthly costs (Hello, Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover and Wellness!). Two, it keeps Ariel happy as he gets a varied menu. Three, Ariel (after getting used to the wet for a day and shaking off nerves from getting into a new environment) sucks ANYTHING down. Maybe at some point he will get picky, but so far he likes everything and that works for me.

It's just easier to have a varied menu if your cat likes it that way, because you don't need to worry about them not eating if you ever need to cut one out and switch in a new one!

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Yeah, I rotate every day, otherwise they stop eating certain foods. Mine currently eat something like 7-9 different foods in their rotation. I mix quality brands and flavors, so one day they'll get, say, Merrick quail, the next day Evo duck, then Wellness chicken, and so on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts