Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this previously, but even though 59 people have read it, I have no replies. I am thinking someone here must have dealt with hairballs in their cat, and I really need advice....so I am trying again in a different part of the forum.

My cat tosses up a large hairball almost every day. He has semi-long silky fur, and I brush him fairly regularly, although he doesn't allow it for long.
He has a bad habit of eating fur or hair he finds on the floor, and I have long hair and dogs.

Any advice on the hairballs? I give him a hairball remedy but it seems to make no difference.
Have any of you used a hairball remedy that actually works?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Super Moderator
26,765 Posts
The majority of the number you see of people who have viewed a post includes the general public, people who are not part of the forum.

My girls gift me with hairballs and a side of hairball soup on a regular basis. I look at it this way, they're getting rid of it like they're supposed to, and it's better than traveling through their whole body and coming out the other end. I've also read that hairball food doesn't really work, it's just more expensive and now you're paying more and getting nothing effective in return. The hairball "remedies" - soft chews, gels and pastes - are usually some sort of mild laxative.

I'm not saying those methods don't work, they just didn't help with my cats.

Unfortunately, I have no answers for you, and I've tried a lot of different things in the past 15 years with my little ladies.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hairball remedies really just make it easier to poop it out. That will cause bowl irritation in the long run. Hairballs are natural for cats. If they don't get rid of it, they'll become impacted which is a serious issue that most often requires surgery to save the cats life.

You can work on your cat more with a fine tooth comb to pull out undercoat or go to a groomer for a brush out. That's all you can do to help your cat with the amount of hair consumed. Also use a dust mop a couple times a day to get up hair on smooth floors and a carpet broom for carpets.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.
I do vacuum my floors, but don't have time to do it twice a day!

Unfortunately, he will not permit more than cursory brushing. More than that and he gets feisty and bitey. He likes it and asks me for it, but then gets overstimulated easily.

It's good to know that the hairball remedy (I have been using the gel kind that comes in a tube like toothpaste) is not effective for others either, so I am not doing anything wrong. I have never fed "hairball food", nor would I...that sounds too strange. .;)........and probably not the best in terms of nutrition either.

Good to know that I am not failing to do something for him that I should do. That was really the reason I posted about this. If it really is better for him to toss them up than send them on through then I won't worry about it any more.

OH, and Marie........thanks for letting me know about those views. I didn't know it worked that way. :)

·
Super Moderator
26,765 Posts
Yeah, when I joined, I didn't know about the views, either. I was like, really? 252 views and nobody has any advice?!!

Reactions: Mosi

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hairball specific food worked great for my cats. Now I just add more fiber, like pumpkin puree, to some wet food since thats the difference in regular and hairball. After my Persian/Maine **** mix had an impaction, I started shaving him into a shawl clip leaving his tail and boots at the start of spring. This is the first year in 3yr i didnt shave him, but the hairball food has helped a lot. He also hates any brushing and becomes matted. Im a groomer, so I really dont care if the animal likes it because they need anyway.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts